Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the day for the fundraiser for a friend of our friends. The lady had been battling cancer for just a few short months, but it was aggressive and she passed away last month. RIP Leesa Riordan.

The turnout was better than I expected. The Bar B Que was great. Sorry, no pics. :laugh2:

The best part of all, there were some folks in attendance with deep pockets. That's always a good thing.

We donated a folding bench/picnic table to the benefit. There was a lot of interest and we took the opportunity to demonstrate it for several folks while 30-40 were looking on while they were eating. :grin:

I have attached a video of the last part of the auction. I don't know why I didn't record the whole thing. I guess I was caught up in the action and just forgot to drag out my phone.

I was worried that it wouldn't sell for more than $400, but, boy was I wrong!

SOLD! $900.00 :surprise::surprise::surprise:

Thank you to the high bidder. Like I said, there was a lot of interest.

Feeling really proud tonight. And I speak for both of us. I think we did good. I might add that the folks up on the stage did great presenting the item and the auctioneer did a good job also. Near the end of the video, you will see one of our friends walking through the crowd and giving us a thumbs up on the sale.

Note: In case you missed my original thread, here is more info.
http://www.routerforums.com/lobby/87970-folding-picnic-table.html

Attachments

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Thank you for your generosity, Mike and Mrs. MT, that was thoughtful of you and your wife. And thank you for showing us the event, what a nice thing to do. Sorry to hear about your friend, as the same happened to my wife.

Now you will have to make another one for your new back yard patio area.

Herb

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Mike - condolences for the loss of your friend.

You have the right to feel proud - you've earned it through your generosity and participation. Isn't it nice to have friends who "donate" to a good cause?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Cool, Mike. Normally fundraisers don't get more than 1/3 to a 1/2 of what an item is really worth. Hats off to you. Congrats.

HJ

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, Mike. Normally fundraisers don't get more than 1/3 to a 1/2 of what an item is really worth. Hats off to you. Congrats.

HJ
This was one of the good ones. There was a wheel barrow full of liquor. Opening bid $600...BOOM $1000...and on and on. It sold for $2400!

Igloo 72 Qt cooler (heavy insulated, wheeled/with extension carry handle and a case of beer - $850!

Looks like it will turn out to be a great benefit. I know her husband and two daughters appreciate everything that has been done. Lots of medical expenses. The sad part is she was diagnosed last October, and now she is gone.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We had the wife's annual Kiwaniis fund raiser Tues and didn't fare quite as well, but made enough to help at least some of the needy. Donations were down and bidding was less than last year. Still not real good times up here in the rust belt.

Had it at the local VFW hall (only holds 200 or so). Really hit me when I saw Viet Nam era vets looking like the WW2 vets I used to see. And now I'm one of those grumpy old farts. Fewer and fewer vets are joining.

They always go out of their way to accommodate us so I left them 2 finished and 2 unfinished (I'll carve what they want) eagle on flag plaques to use as they see fit. This being a nice guy can get expensive.

HJ

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
You and the Mrs should be very proud...bless you for what you do...and condolences for your friend.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That's great Mike, congratulations. I've donated 2 turtles so far for fundraisers for our motorcycle group, working on a third. We support Shriners Hospitals for Children and Paws for Purple Hearts, and were able to make a nice donation to both last year, hoping to do the same this year.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
KUDOS to you Mike and sorry for your loss...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
KUDOS to you also John ...

Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
This is Mike's thread - didn't mean to butt in.

HJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts