Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expecting my Junior Rocket Science badge any day now.

This thread is likely to only be of interest to bachelors, the really cheap people, or the broke people. I fall in the 1 and 3 ranges.

I've worn boxers since basic training. Thru the years tried many various brands, including the one that starts out with the letter H. But my final choice, for comfort, long lasting, best buy, etc., is Fruit Of The Loom knit boxers.

So, was a bit worried when the elastic started giving out in what I had. A bit disconcerting, going around the house in boxers and T -shirt, then suddenly the boxers that had been ridding nicely on the hips were suddenly riding the ankles. The boxers themselves where in great condition, only the elastic was shot. So, bought some new boxers. The new ones are even better. But hated to toss my old ones, they were so good, so started thinking about how to revive them.

Take up some slack in the elastic and sew? Yeah, could, except I slow lousy, and it would take a lot of time. Then it struck me. I am a woodworker, I use glue, so glue them.

Glue of choice is Titebond II. So took up an inch or so on each side, put glue in, put more glue on the outside, folded that over, clamped with two clothespins on each side, let set overnght.

Next step was washing machine, dryer, wear. And they fit just great, and the glue is not about to give. The only warning is, when they come out of the washer do not mess with the glued sections, because the glue gets soft in the washer, and you could destroy your work. Just toss them in the dryer, and when dry the glue is as strong as ever.

I do love woodworking. :grin:

·
Premium Member
19,008 Posts
I like the other type. Found a brand I liked, only to discover that the same model is never the same from batch to batch.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
While I'll admit to being tight I'm not that tight. I'd give them a proper reuse and use them for applying finishes, wax, just about anything but glueing them. And if you're going to glue them at least use TBIII which is waterproof and designed for outdoor use. Now I need to figure out what to do with the corn cobs from last night's dinner. Maybe make some pipes.....

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I was expecting something with a new finish application. Underwear? Who wears them that long? I just tossed a pair that were so thin, you could read the fine print in a legal contract.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
While I'll admit to being tight I'm not that tight. I'd give them a proper reuse and use them for applying finishes, wax, just about anything but glueing them. And if you're going to glue them at least use TBIII which is waterproof and designed for outdoor use. Now I need to figure out what to do with the corn cobs from last night's dinner. Maybe make some pipes.....
Dry them and TURN them into pens.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=corn+cvob+pens&qpvt=corn+cvob+pens&FORM=IQFRML

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, I'll use them for rags when the boxers wear out, they are in great shape, it's just the elastic that is shot. I'm not going to wear them outdoors, unless I have pants on, so Titebond II works perfectly well. Do your neighbors ever look at you funny?

Corn cobs? No problem, just do a bit of work on them, then start a business selling them.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was expecting something with a new finish application. Underwear? Who wears them that long? I just tossed a pair that were so thin, you could read the fine print in a legal contract.
Waste not, want not.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Just go commando.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Theo,

Titebond 2 is water resistant so it might give up after a few washings. You might want to change to Titebond 3 because it is waterproof.:grin:

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
The elastic is like the wear indicator on your tires...when it goes so do the shorts. Mind you, you could staple them on...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Theo,

Titebond 2 is water resistant so it might give up after a few washings. You might want to change to Titebond 3 because it is waterproof.:grin:
take it a couple steps further and use Weldbond...

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Theo,

Nope, it won't give up. I've got pants and shirts repaired using Titebond II, starting years ago. Still wear some of them. As long as you don't mess with the glued area when it comes out of the washing machine, after the drier they are as strong as when first glued. Mostly T-shirts, that had something sharp run thru the bottom of the pockets. Also D rings on my pants, so my suspenders will clip on them.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The elastic is like the wear indicator on your tires...when it goes so do the shorts.
They go alright, around my knees when I'm wearing pants; around the ankles if no pants. No, the boxers are good, just the elastic is shot.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
That's an idea. Give it a try, and let us know how it turn out.
bite me...
been using Weldbond for decades...
it beats the snot out of TB coming and going...

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bite me...
been using Weldbond for decades...
it beats the snot out of TB coming and going...
As long as you don't provide photos. :frown:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts