Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I blew the side out of the last one of these (see Oops thread) I dug around in the cutoff boxes and found 9 pieces left from previous cutting board projects that looked like they might fit together. I added 2 strips of maple to make it a bit bigger. The hole was initially hogged out with a Forstner bit and finished with a bowl bit. I found a small slab of maple and walnut that looked like it might make a top. The pattern on the top is from a Rose Cutter bit, also a topic of a previous thread. The small circles in the corners hide a set of button magnets that retain the lid. After sanding to 220 a coat of sanding sealer and Brit wax finished the project.

I thought about rounding the corners and edges but SWMBO preferred the square look.

Comments welcome as always.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Missing photos

Missing photos form the last one. Sorry about the fat fingers.
 

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
Joined
·
10,081 Posts
Very nice.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
16,385 Posts
Nice job Jon. Either you found the sweet spot to run the rosette cutter at or you were trying to make one in the wrong wood before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
I lost count on how many segments you used, wow ! the top is only 3 pieces, then you see the rest and you know immediately that a lot of time energy and effort went in to this project, beautiful results !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,371 Posts
Good job Jon!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Neat pieces - or pieces! How did you make that cavity?
Brian

The bulk of the cavity was hogged out with a Forstner bit. I used double sided tape to affix a jig to the top to guide the router bit shown below to finish the bottom and sides. A similar approach failed miserably as described in the OOPs thread. So caution is the watch word.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice job Jon. Either you found the sweet spot to run the rosette cutter at or you were trying to make one in the wrong wood before.
That is the same piece from the Rose Cutter thread. I rounded a piece of dowel and used the flexible sandpaper that DesertRatTom posted about to clean up the pattern. Have yet to try that Rose Cutter again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you one and all for the feedback. That uses up the remaining pieces from previous cutting boards so until the cut off bin fills again it is on to other things. That assumes the temp in the shop comes down bit.
 

·
Registered
Mike
Joined
·
3,843 Posts
Nice little box.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,514 Posts
That really turned out nicely. I like the contrasting woods, and that's a box made to order for my hearing aids to rest at night. On to new things....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That really turned out nicely. I like the contrasting woods, and that's a box made to order for my hearing aids to rest at night. On to new things....

Thanks Tom. A good suggestion, simply add a bit of felt to give them a soft landing.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top