Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a trick to help make a better outset letter "O"?
This is the letter that gives me the most fits.

I only work freehand so a CNC is not the answer I am looking for. LOL

Look at the 1st "O" and you will see where I butchered it up.

On the upside, my customer loved the sign.....I didn't point it out to them.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The grain caught the bit and pulled you in. I would get reasonably close and just nibble at it. The smaller the cut the less force you have to counteract. Plant one hand on the board for stability and take small arcs off by guiding with the other. Try practicing just the letters you have trouble with until you get the method perfected.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
The grain caught the bit and pulled you in. I would get reasonably close and just nibble at it. The smaller the cut the less force you have to counteract. Plant one hand on the board for stability and take small arcs off by guiding with the other. Try practicing just the letters you have trouble with until you get the method perfected.
Sounds like VOE to me.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
rotate slightly CW....

Reactions: Frankj3

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Charles. I do practice on scrap wood.....but it's like golf. I can make perfect shots on the driving range. I just can't take the driving range shots to the course! LOL

·
Registered
813 Posts
My wife has for years been on my case about pointing out "flaws" in my work. She's right, most people (other than woodworkers) do not notice the small errors we make. To my eye the first "O" has more character than the one you did perfectly. I say you designed it that way on purpose as a personal touch and it proves that it is a hand made product. Looks great to me. Leave perfection to the CNC guy's.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gary. I like the way you think! LOL

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Previously shared with Frank. Posted here for all to benefit.

If you study various fonts, you'll find that the capital O does not lie on the same line as other letters. The O does not sit like an egg on a table top.
Even the "ROUTERFORUMS.com" in the forum header has it wrong.

A true O (or C, G, J, Q, S, U for that matter) sits a sliver lower than all the other letters. And is a sliver taller as well. (J and U do not enjoy this).

http://www.fonts.com/content/learnin...ogy/glossary/o

It is called round overlap, overhang, overshoot.

Additional comment: Watch out for taking a correctly sized O and then laying it like an egg on the line. The top will overshoot where it should go. Last night while watching Dinosaurs on NetFlix I noticed the "BOB LABREA HIGHSCHOOL" sign made this error - all the Os were laid out on the bottom line and all overshot the top. (Series 2, episode 10 in the very beginning scene at 1:08
)

Reactions: Frankj3

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I am like you, the first O just leaps off that board at me. But my wife said the only thing she saw wrong with that sign is the missing "i".
Cookie's surely possess me...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts