Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This project dragged on a lot longer then I anticipated. I started it in January and just finished it today. Some changes at work meant a lot less time in the shop for me. But it's finally done! Now I have to paint the bedroom! :fie:
Things I learned - inset drawers are a lot harder.
- should have made the front edges of the dust covers the same colour as the wood.
- 1/8" gap around the drawer fronts is too much - I was leaving myself a lot of wiggle room
There were a number of mistakes; some I could just hide some I had to remake things. Still, I'm pretty happy with the result. :yes4:

Attachments

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Wow Deb that is absolutely stunning, I was looking forward to the result of this project, it turned out great :)

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Now THAT is one of them "Stand back and just smile" kinda deals!!!!!

Well done Deb, well done!!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Dep (Deb) :)

Very nice you have come a long way in just two years, aging very nice job Deb :)

=======

This project dragged on a lot longer then I anticipated. I started it in January and just finished it today. Some changes at work meant a lot less time in the shop for me. But it's finally done! Now I have to paint the bedroom! :fie:
Things I learned - inset drawers are a lot harder.
- should have made the front edges of the dust covers the same colour as the wood.
- 1/8" gap around the drawer fronts is too much - I was leaving myself a lot of wiggle room
There were a number of mistakes; some I could just hide some I had to remake things. Still, I'm pretty happy with the result. :yes4:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Deb,
Very well done. I know what you mean about inset drawers, (and doors for that matter). They are a total PITA when you are doing them, and totally worth the effort once they're done.
Looks great.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for all the kind comments. :wub: BJ you are so right, it has been an amazing journey and I owe much of my new found skill to the excellent help and advice I got from this forum.

I forgot to mention the wood is birch veneer particle board. Crap stuff to try to stain evenly. Even worse when you have to do some then leave it for any length of time and then do some more. It's all held together with dowels, only the drawer hardware got screws. I still have to make a few more shelves for the shoe racks on the sides.

·
Official Greeter
18,734 Posts
Great result, Deb

well worth the wait.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Superb job Deb. You may see the faults but I don't think anyone else can.
There are some products called 'pre stain conditioners' that might have helped with more even staining. Charles Neil sells one that people swear by. I have heard that it could just be watered down pva glue though.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Looks good Deb, Nice job; But no dovetails on the drawers??? :unsure: Just razing you you did an excelent job I don't see any mistakes.

Danny

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very good work .
I set you as an example for my next closet project.
There very nice details in what you showed.
Thanks for sharing!!
Sergio.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gavin I will definitely use pre-stain conditioner next time.
Gareth the entire unit is made from 3/4" birch veneer particle core, including the drawer fronts. It's all edged with iron on birch veneer banding. The drawer boxes were made from 5/8" white melamine particle core. It's a bit overkill for drawers, but it was on sale and cheaper then the 1/2" sheets.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Well done Deb well done indeed.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Gosh Deb I don't see any of the "mistakes" you've mentioned. It looks great from here!

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Looks really nice, Deb... and like Jack says, any mistakes you made aren't visible to us mere mortals! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts