Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello people!

I need a good motor for woodworking

I searched the Internet and found many feedbacks about the baldor.
the WEG motors are really cheaper... have you dealt with them?

these are my specs:
Single HP
1725 or 1800 RPM
Three Phase
TEFC preferred
56C frame size

Thanks in advance!:wink:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome Johnny. I'm not familiar with WEGs bit Baldor has a solid reputation for good reason.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
+1 on the Baldors. I"ve installed probably close to a hundred in the last 10 years and have yet to replace one....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: kp91

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,160 Posts
Welcome to the forum Johnny.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I recently bought a 1 HP 1750 rpm baldor motor from ebay. So far it is great. It is a single phase though, I do not have 3 phase power. It also is a different frame size. I am using mine as a benchtop buffer motor, it seems like it has a ton of torque. It is one of their farm motor series, not sure if that matters or not.

Gary

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
U.S. made Leeson and Marathons are a safe bet too...

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Yugo of motors...
totally agree on the Baldor...
Stick, you got your cars confused! WEG is the Cadillac of Electric Motors! There is no doubt about it. My businesses are constantly using electric motors and we always replace junky motors with WEGs (TEFC, of course). They are right down the road from us, but in OUR opinion they are THE BEST.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia
FMC - Global
Pocket Form Isolator - Global
HSP Transmission Components - a new upstart that will be global
and Tendril Consulting - a consulting business for streamlining business efficiencies

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quotes from my electrical engineering motor lab professor:
"Single phase motors are an abomination to mankind"
"If God had meant there to be single phase motors he would have never invented 3 phase!"
And on and on.
3 phase motors are inherently balanced, require no capacitors to get them started, will literally run for decades, are easier on bearings, etc.
That said, most of us mortals do not have 3 phase available to them, thus the widespread availability of cheap 3 phase equipment on the used market.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick, you got your cars confused! WEG is the Cadillac of Electric Motors! There is no doubt about it. My businesses are constantly using electric motors and we always replace junky motors with WEGs (TEFC, of course). They are right down the road from us, but in OUR opinion they are THE BEST.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia
FMC - Global
Pocket Form Isolator - Global
HSP Transmission Components - a new upstart that will be global
and Tendril Consulting - a consulting business for streamlining business efficiencies
sorry...
the WEG's are gone and the USA Baldors, Marathons and Leesons are still here...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts