Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been forced to write this post in defence of my evidence relating to the invention of the famous Scottish Taco.

Now after reading comments on my previous post ie a poor retired plumbers take on a Taco. I got the distinct impression I was not getting taken seriously, which to say I was offended is an understatement.

In my defence I have decided to present absolute proof not only on the product itself but the actual naming of said product

Now poor Heather had a dilemma. Unwittingly her good husband had just invented a new Scottish delicacy, but she could not in truth call it a pancake, as it was far too thin and it was curled up at the sides. So after some thought she decided on a new name and decided on the Weight Watchers Pancake.

She decided to present her new pancake at the next MacLeod general meeting, and it was a great success. She took along a sample selection, filled with various fillings and the Clan chief Gordon Ramsay MacLeod loved them

His only concern was he couldn’t set them down as they kept falling over. This was a problem for many years, and not until a woodworking genius from Angus in Scotland in the twenty first century finally invented a weight watchers pancake tray which solved the problem of the toppling pancakes, with a little help from the Amazon.

You might at this point be wondering where this is leading to, but bear with me as we are about to embark on a voyage of discovery.

It is a little known fact that the Scots discovered America. Many of our history books have distorted the truth, stating that in Sept 1620 the Pilgrims set sale in the Mayflower from Plymouth in England, but in fact they actually set sail from Arbroath Harbour in Scotland.

The altering of the history books by the envious English was a result of the Scots inventing everything.

Now as you know keeping supplies fresh on board a sailing ship in these days was a nightmare, and anything taken on board had to last without going off. This is where the now famous Scottish weight watchers pancake came in. It could be stacked together and it didn’t suffer from deterioration.

Many were taken on board, supplied by MacLeod Bakers.

As they set off on their voyage looking for the elusive West, tide and wind did them no favours and as they crossed the vast Atlantic they were forced south and unwittingly ended up off the coast of Mexico.

They were hungry and desperate and decided to steer their ship into Mexico harbour. They had been Months at sea and had depleted all their fresh supplies. Apart from copious amounts of weight watchers pancakes.

The locals were friendly and willing to trade and in return for fresh supplies they offered in return six barrels of neatly stacked pancakes.

The local population were hesitant at first but decided to give them a try and they loved everything about them. Apart from the name, weight watchers pancake, which was not to everyone’s taste.

They decided to ask the Scottish Pilgrims if they could change the name and made a suggestion of, quote, Tasty and Crumbly Oatcake.

The pilgrims were horrified as they had already invented the Oatcake years ago.

It was a standoff, but eventually a compromise was reached. Both sides decided on an abbreviation of the suggested name.

Thus the Taco was introduced to the Mexicans in 1620 by the Scots looking for America.

The Scottish pilgrims set off again fully stocked and eventually reached Botany Bay, where the on board cook, a Highlander called Hamish McDonald set up restaurant, invented and started selling another Scottish delicacy called a Hamburger.

I think most of the forum will now accept that I have presented absolute proof of the origin of the humble Scottish Taco

Colin
From the clan McTaco

Scotland.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey, when you’ve got all the facts (and can invent anything) who can argue with you? I’ll be looking for a breakfast taco at Taco Bell soon - a curly pancake with eggs and bacon. Mmmmmm!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I am certainly convinced...!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have sure missed all the historical and informative thoughts from your perspective across the Pond. Thanks so much for that Colin. BTW, will you be starring in a reboot of Highlander ??

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I used to love my mom's mince & tatties
compliments of @tomp913...

Mince and Tatties
Ingredients:

500g (1 1/4 lb) steak mince (butcher's mince only)
2 large onions, chopped
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Coleman's mustard
2 large carrots, chopped
dash Worcestershire sauce
dash Tabasco Sauce
1 teaspoon Bisto granules
2 to 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
good knob butter

Directions:

In a large frying pan over medium heat, brown the mince along with the onions, mixed herbs, salt, pepper and mustard.

Once the mince is browned, cover with water and add the chopped carrots, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Leave to simmer for about an hour and a half, partially covered. I find that the longer you simmer the mince the more tender it will be.

Mix in Bisto powder and cook a further 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the peeled and diced potatoes into a saucepan with water to cover, and place on high heat to boil for 10 to 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and mash with butter and salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon mince onto plates and top with mash. Serve immediately with brown sauce and peas, if desired.

Reactions: Danman1957

·
Registered
964 Posts
Stick,

Either your recipe or my mom's is upside down !!!

She used to put the mince on top of the tatties and it already had a gravy/sauce in there.
Which ever was right does not matter, it was good ! and her home made lemon meringue pie !

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick,

Either your recipe or my mom's is upside down !!!

She used to put the mince on top of the tatties and it already had a gravy/sauce in there.
Which ever was right does not matter, it was good ! and her home made lemon meringue pie !
no matter...
you stirred it all together anyways...

Reactions: Danman1957
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.