Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to routers. I want to learn how to use one. I am going to purchase the Bosch 1617EVSPK. I know this is a lot of router for a beginner but I don't want to buy small and wish I had gone bigger and better later. Anyway, the question.
What kind of bit would I use to rabbet 3/4 inch wood for a 1/4 inch thick back panel for a cabinet? I've seen all kinds of bits of different sizes and I'm confused. I've built a cabinet before but left the back open. I'm thinking of going with the 1/2 inch collet and shank.
Thanks in advance, Hector

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Hello Hector, and welcome aboard.

I have this router bit.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...HmWg1usFj8_ee3DUvEbvPNSaL4rx1VrDWMhoCCyHw_wcB

It comes with a variety of bearings which allow you to cut different widths of rabbits. Just change the bearing and you are good to go.

The price sounds a little stiff but you have the ability of having several bits in one package. They work well for me.
That was my choice. Hope this helps.
Mike

Edit: I looked at my router bit. It isn't Freud, and it has a 1/2 inch shank. But it is the combo with interchangeable bearings.

Upon closer inspection, it appears I bought the rabbet bit combo from MLCS.
https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/sho...ges/bit_rabbet.html?zoom_highlight=rabbet+bit

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. That is exactly what I am looking for. The price is no issue as long as I have the right tool.
Thanks again. I'll be returning to the forum all the tips and tricks.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I agree with Mike about the set. It's a little more money but you get more versatility from it. If the frame is already together, which I would recommend against doing unless you have to, then the rabetting bit is about the only practical way to go. You'll wind up with round corners and you'll either have to square them with a chisel or round off the corners of the panel.

If you rabbet the boards before assembly then a straight bit on a router table will make them or a straight bit can be used handheld if you use an edge guide with the router to control depth. Rabbets can also be made on a table saw or with a jointer. If I have a bunch of then to do then I prefer using a jointer as it is the fastest method.

You made a good choice for your router and I agree that you need a decent size router for your first one. Small routers like trim routers you add to your collection later.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I am new to routers. I want to learn how to use one. I am going to purchase the Bosch 1617EVSPK. I know this is a lot of router for a beginner but I don't want to buy small and wish I had gone bigger and better later. Anyway, the question.
What kind of bit would I use to rabbet 3/4 inch wood for a 1/4 inch thick back panel for a cabinet? I've seen all kinds of bits of different sizes and I'm confused. I've built a cabinet before but left the back open. I'm thinking of going with the 1/2 inch collet and shank.
Thanks in advance, Hector
good choice for routers and shank dia... you won't regret it...
see these people... good place to do business and reconditioned is a ''no worries''...
Factory Reconditioned Bosch 1617EVSPK-RT 12 Amp 2.25 HP Combination Plunge and Fixed-Base Router Kit
don't forget a guide... it's a real asset...
Bosch RA1054 Deluxe Router Guide

now for the rabbet... a one time cover 99% of needs... I'm very partial to this Brand...
Freud 32-526 3-4 in. Multi-Rabbet Router Bit Set with 7 Bearings

please stayed for some additional useful information...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
some ''light'' reading...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
keep reading...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thank you for the CPO link. Reconditioned price looks tempting.
free shipping, no tax, backed by Bosch and no worries..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.