Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I decided to kick my car out of the garage.. I haven't done that for 28 years, but I needed someplace to setup shop.. My wife wouldn't let me have her half, so I made do with what I got..

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike
Nice shop :) and I sure like the chair just in the right place. :)
I like the new plumping job and the wife was right, it's does.. :)
It's hard to see the grounding wires for the vac. system..
Also I don't see any gates did you put some in. ? (vac.system pipe gates)

Bj :)

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
You people who are organized make it VERY difficult on those of us who are NOT!! :) Very nice setup. I only wish I had the room to get setup like that.

Brian

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a couple wraps of the ground wires with stakons and screws attaching them to the piping.. I have 4 blast gates in the system.. I'll probably get 1 or 2 more..

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

As I'm sure you know grounding the vac.sysyem must be done right :),,
This is just my 2 cents but I would run unshelded copper wire down the pipe ( inside all the pipe because you are using PVC) then ground it to one out let box for the vac.power plug in.
It can be to the frame of the vac. motor because it should be a grounded type plug.
The cheap way to get the job done is to buy some standrard house wire like 14/3 take off the cover and strip the wire to the copper, grounding copper wire is not cheap and the stantard wire will do just fine. :)
If you get to a gate just use a bolt and fix the wire to both sides of the bolt then with a small hole in the PVC/hose keep moving on with the wire. ( a little auto type PVC seal on the hole will plug the hole)

The dust going down the pipe will setup a CHARGE and can start a fire inside the pipe.
It's always a long shot but if it comes about it will blow the pipe right off the wall.

It's like a flour mill going up with a 2lb. block of C4 under it.

You may want to make your own gates, they are easy to make and you should have one at all the opening/equipment if you want I will post a snapshot of the ones I make for my small vac. system.
A good way to check your vac. system is start up the vac. system and take a hand full of saw dust and throw in on the PVC pipe, if it sticks (stands up) you need to fix the grounding system.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bj, I was wondering if I should run a ground wire inside the piping.. The Woodcraft package was a little vague on that, and the price sticker covered most of the instructions up.. The grounding I have done so far has removed static from the pipes already.. The router table is the only machine not directly grounded.. Still wondering if I should run a wire to the router base, or just attach it to the RT..

Please post a pic of your gates.. Thanks..

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

Here's a snapshot or two of the gates

The RT should be fine for the grounding wire do you have a outlet on the RT.
I should note, the gates are made so can slip a 4" hose over them or push in a 2 1/2 " vac.hose or what ever size you have on your small Vac.can system.

AxlMyk said:
Bj, I was wondering if I should run a ground wire inside the piping.. The Woodcraft package was a little vague on that, and the price sticker covered most of the instructions up.. The grounding I have done so far has removed static from the pipes already.. The router table is the only machine not directly grounded.. Still wondering if I should run a wire to the router base, or just attach it to the RT..

Please post a pic of your gates.. Thanks..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Mike, your router should already have a built in ground.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

That's it, the original artwork you can't use because it's a MPC file and it take's a Designer Program to see it or use it, I use CapureWiz Pro.to put into a jpg format.
BUT the jpg file should print out fine on your PC. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
My wife wouldn't let me have her half, so I made do with what I got.
Before I build my shop (had it built) I was doing the same thing. Except the
wife kept getting mad when I got dust on her car. Go figure...wood working
without dust....man that like eating cereal without milk....

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,940 Posts
Neat set-up Mike (ret.) but I couldn't see the white line on the floor beyond which sawdust dare not venture!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts