Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Washington DC TV stations are now airing a commercial that " if you were ever injured on a table saw accident you may be entitled to money for your injuries' Saw-Stop must be loving it.

You too can be paid for doing something stupid

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
"Saw-Stop must be loving it."
Gass (Saw-Stop inventor and an attorney) probably has a financial interest in the law firm you reference.
I wouldn't put it past that greedy S.O.B.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The Washington DC TV stations are now airing a commercial that " if you were ever injured on a table saw accident you may be entitled to money for your injuries' Saw-Stop must be loving it.

You too can be paid for doing something stupid
Roger, maybe it was a slow coffee spilling week at McDonalds!:agree::agree:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I seriously doubt this subject will ever just end. Saw Stop won't be happy till they get their technology passed as mandatory for table saws. I just wonder what will be next.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
No comment. No Comment. (Hold it in)

Ah heck, I can't hold back. Reminds me of a joke the late George Carlin had on warning labels... Can't remember the exact wording, but here goes:

"If they find out mother's milk causes cancer, where are they going to put the label?"

Some operating manuals preface their safety instructions with something to the effect of "Common sense cannot be built into a power tool. Common sense needs to come from the operator."

PhilP has some good comments specifically on Saw Safety and how SawStop unsuccessfully tried to get there foot in the door in the UK.

Other than that (at least for now), I have no comment.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Saw Stop won't be happy till they get their technology passed as mandatory for table saws. I just wonder what will be next.
In that case, Wayne, they had better make sure that their technology works on larger saws - the type used by industry - because it is probably impossible to legislate for saws sold only into the home shop market.

If we have a physicist here maybe they'd care to work it out the difference between the kinetic energy stored in a 2.8mm thick x 250mm (10in) diameter steel sawblade weighing c.1.2kg (2.5lb) running at 3,800 rpm (i.e. something like a typical Saw Stop saw blade) and that stored in a 4.2mm thick x 500mm (20in) diameter rip saw blade weighing c.6.5kg (14.3lbs) spinning at a relatively leasurely 2,200 rpm as you'll find in larger industrial rip saw. BTW the thicknesses given are saw plate thicknesses, not the kerfs and I haven't taken into taccount the extra weight of the carbide tips and brazing. Even so I calculate the kinetic energies (poor physicist that I am) as c.1490 J and c.10780 J respectively - or about a 7.25:1 difference. The relative motor sizes, 1.5HP (1.0kW) and 10HP (7.5kW) or more, respectively, is a clue. I shudder to think how large a "consumable" braking block would need to be, or how expensive, on industrial stuff.

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Ah heck, I can't hold back. Reminds me of a joke the late George Carlin had on warning labels... Can't remember the exact wording, but here goes:

"If they find out mother's milk causes cancer, where are they going to put the label?"
ROFLMAO :sarcastic:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What Is Your Beef With Saw Stop

"Saw-Stop must be loving it."
Gass (Saw-Stop inventor and an attorney) probably has a financial interest in the law firm you reference.
I wouldn't put it past that greedy S.O.B.

What is the reason for the negative attitude toward Saw Stop. This issue has been observed from time to time on other threads, just wondering as I am not familiar with the history of that company.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
What is the reason for the negative attitude toward Saw Stop. This issue has been observed from time to time on other threads, just wondering as I am not familiar with the history of that company.
Hi Jerry - Mr Gass owns the patents on the SawStop technology and for the last several years has been on a campaign to make it mandatory on all table saws in the U.S. Mostly with lawsuits against table saw manufacturers. SawStop equipped saws typically start at about $2500 and go up to around $5000. The technology is great but hard on saws, much of the price is beefing up the equipment to take the jolt, it stops and retracts the blade in <3 microseconds. In the process the braking system destroys itself and very likely the blade.
Bottom line is it would put table saws out of the financial reach of most hobbyists. :blink:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Saw stop is a great saw buuut way to pricey for Me unless I hit lottery or quit work and go fulltime woodworking and then I would be probably hungry
I still cannot believe the Judge that gave the dingdong his case instead of throwing it out especially since He admitted taking off the safety features maybe Sawstop paid them off also

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
The saw blade is usually detroyed when the aluminum brake is fired into it. In this photo Matt the owner of the Sterling Heights, MI Woodcraft store is holding the remains after a demonstration.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
hmmm so after the saw stop whats next bandsaw stop, router stop, planer stop hell you wont be able to have scary sharp chisels in the workshop without a safety device on them or any tools that are used for cutting. All this chap will succeed in doing is put manufacturers out of business and I am glad that my time on this planet will end before I have no choice but to buy a saw with this device, TOO many safety devices only serves to make you careless as far as I can see.
Well that's my two cents worth.

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
Jerry, from what I can recall, the basic case was started by a worker, who I believe was under the influence of alcohol, using a bench type table saw on the floor. He admitted he removed all the safety guards. The case, went against the manufacturer of the saw and now the inventor of the saw stop is lobbying to make his invention compulsory on all table saws.....

I am not sure how heavily involved in the case was Mr Gass, but I believe he presented "expert advice".

Won't be long and we will see some drunk driver suing a car manufacturer after being involved in an accident.

The recent history of litigation in the US seems to absolve any idiot from stupidity. :jester:

·
Registered
129 Posts
:stop: Ohh and I forgot no one will be allowed to use a lathe of any description unless wearing an armored suit designed to withstand high velocity impact from wood chips LOL :laugh:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Hi Jerry - Mr Gass owns the patents on the SawStop technology and for the last several years has been on a campaign to make it mandatory on all table saws in the U.S. Mostly with lawsuits against table saw manufacturers. SawStop equipped saws typically start at about $2500 and go up to around $5000. The technology is great but hard on saws, much of the price is beefing up the equipment to take the jolt, it stops and retracts the blade in <3 microseconds. In the process the braking system destroys itself and very likely the blade.
Bottom line is it would put table saws out of the financial reach of most hobbyists. :blink:
Thanks for the explanation John. Now I'm on the same page with you. Jerry

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
those people w/ Incra aluminum miters tend to find out how the Saw Stop works.... A faint touch of the miter to blade is all it takes...
Then there is that wet piece of PT not helping matters...
What is it, 80 bucks for the module and 40 to 400 $$$ for the blade???

The jamb down your throat or up your what ever tactics need to stop...

·
Registered
587 Posts
those people w/ Incra aluminum miters tend to find out how the Saw Stop works.... A faint touch of the miter to blade is all it takes...
Then there is that wet piece of PT not helping matters...
What is it, 80 bucks for the module and 40 to 400 $$$ for the blade???

The jamb down your throat or up your what ever tactics need to stop...
I was in a Woodcraft store yesterday - they had a stack of about a dozen modules sitting on a new display Saw Stop saw and at $69 each. I would be hard pressed after about the second module to spend that amount of money after destroying it on a piece of damp lumber and probably would find a permanent solution so I could continue to use my costly new ($2-$3000 +++) saw (which I just couldn't afford in the first place anyhow)

And that safety aspect - people have been injuring themselves with sharp 'things' since the dawn of history. You just can't legislate out stupidity

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
And that safety aspect - people have been injuring themselves with sharp 'things' since the dawn of history. You just can't legislate out stupidity
the stupid seem to think they can do it...

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,027 Posts
I'm waiting for the company to put out a demonstration where the operator touches the blade with his finger, not a sausage!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'm waiting for the company to put out a demonstration where the operator touches the blade with his finger, not a sausage!
shove the hand into the blade instead of a light touch......

1 - 20 of 52 Posts