Router Forums banner
101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Perhaps you should progress out of the horse and buggy days yourself and install an intercom system from your house to your shop. :yes2:
Hi Marcel

It could be sais that he is very up to date with an environmentally-sustainable, eco-friendly communications system, there!

Regards

Phil

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
No way Marcel; Marlene has a wonderful lilting voice when she calls Harry. :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
You're now being more specific in the specs Reuel. I've given some thought into this and I can't think of any of my numerous projects where a 12mm x 50mm bit was essential. Could you describe what you need it for.
I first want to use my router to mill critical parts for a homebuilt CNC router out of hardwood. Of course I also want to furniture & even an organ console for my Virtual Theatre Pipe organ + the multichannel speaker boxes.

Why CNC? Once I have the first CNC, I can then replace those critcal parts with Aluminium using the CNC to improve itself and make acurate metal templates for manual routing using template guides.

I won't/don't turn/rout wooden bowls or vases & plates with my wooden lathe/router because my wife had got certified in pottery (as hobby) and she has an automatic electric and a manual gas kiln in the house. Ceramics items made with clay & glaze can contain wet or dry food and get on the stove or into the oven. Wooden bowls are less functional.

50mm will allow me to cut 2" thick or 2x 3/4" thick in one go saving setup/clamping time.

Why 12mm & not 13mm?
One of the disadvantage of going metric is that materials have become thinner. Manufactured boards are now 12mm or 18mm think rather than 1/2" and 3/4". So I can no longer use 1/2" or 3/4" bits to make dados for housing joints anymore. I special ordered an 18mm bit years ago.

Better for USA & Canada NEVER to go metric - because "in the metric system consumers will have to pay more for less always."

·
Registered
357 Posts
It sounds like you are referring to the RADIUS that can be produced in which case it is of course the diameter of the BIT that determines this, not the size of the template guide.
True only if guide can get into space & angle is obtuse. 40mm guide is a hindrance in a lot of situations. That is where Template Tom would not admit his mistake.

Ever wondered why the American designed inlay kit supplied 1/8" solid carbide bit a very small guide bush + a small collar?

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
No, Marcel - he likes to stir up stuff, and get everyone riled up.

With that, I'm stayin out of this discussion, cuz I've got his number, and plan on ignoring his ramblings.. now when he says something truly educational (how to cut or fix, or do/create something), not an OPINION that's biased, I-know-everything, condenscending, or pushy, and can show some respect for others opinions then I'll listen.
But Barb, you do me a grave injustice, haven't you seen the huge number of projects that I've posted over the years all with detailed photo-shoots with superimposed explanatory text plus a few slide shows and we mustn't forget the series of "routing for beginners" tutorials. Sure, when I sense that the forum is becoming rather boring I introduce items which are likely to produce some lively discussion, but I'm still serious about the subject matter. I've never professed to be knowledgeable about any aspect of woodworking other than routing, and like most members, I'm constantly learning new things here.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Thanks Harry, I ordered one from Norwest Tool Centre. You also lead the world in that your continent is the driest on earth.
That's for sure Marcel, but having said that, whilst when I left home at 7.30 this morning it was warm and very sunny, however all afternoon it's been raining.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Perhaps you should progress out of the horse and buggy days yourself and install an intercom system from your house to your shop. :yes2:
At our last home that is what I had and it was great for ordering tea or coffee for my visitors and myself however, when we bought this place my sweetheart put her foot down and said NO INTERCOM! so I gave the three way system to a friend.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I was referring to his reply. :yes4:
What reply Marcel, I pretend not to hear if I'm in the process of something critical like a glueup

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
True only if guide can get into space & angle is obtuse. 40mm guide is a hindrance in a lot of situations. That is where Template Tom would not admit his mistake.

Ever wondered why the American designed inlay kit supplied 1/8" solid carbide bit a very small guide bush + a small collar?
I must admit that I learned the finer points of routing on a one on one basis over a number of years from Tom who was I thought a close friend and lived close to me.
When designing a template, the first thing that we consider is the size of template guide and bit that is to be used, so if we use a 40mm guide with a 3mm bit we calculate as follows: 40 - 3 = 37mm therefore the offset will be 18.5mm and the opening in the template will be: the size of the routed item plus 37mm and the routed radius will be 3mm. Of course there will be shapes that would make the template far too big, in which case the design will be based on a smaller guide.
The only time that a 12mm bit is essential is when routing an accurate 12mm groove, but a 50mm deep groove is not something that I've ever needed. When it comes to deep routing say the inside and outside of a box, then it doesn't of course matter what size bit is used so long as the template is designed for it.
I did not agree with some of Tom's ideas and that contributed to going our seperate ways but there can be no denying that he has an incredible knowledge of routing but lacks the ability to pass this on with the written word or his posted projects or Utube videos which are never complete to enable the reader/viewer to give it a go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
ping

·
Registered
628 Posts
At our last home that is what I had and it was great for ordering tea or coffee for my visitors and myself however, when we bought this place my sweetheart put her foot down and said NO INTERCOM! so I gave the three way system to a friend.
Sounds like abuse of privilege.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
She must be a saint :D
She is Marcel and I've mentioned that on many occasions here on the forum, quite a few members have spoken to her on Skype and a couple have even been here and know first hand how wonderful she is and has been for all of the 58 years that it's been my pleasure to be her husband.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Sounds like abuse of privilege.
In retrospect it was Marcel and I now feel guilty as hell but I'm sure that I've made up for it since. Because it's a marriage of mixed religions, they all said it wouldn't last, but oh boy, how wrong they were and it didn't take long for everyone to realize what a good match it was and treat her better than ME!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The time has arrived for a revolution in america

What a very, very appropriate title Harry.

Am I the only one to be struck by the irony, that the first British colony to throw off the, 'Imperial', system of government, is now just about the last one to cling onto the, 'Imperial', system of measurements?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Revolutionary

The time has arrived for a revolution in america

What a very, very appropriate title Harry.

Am I the only one to be struck by the irony, that the first British colony to throw off the, 'Imperial', system of government, is now just about the last one to cling onto the, 'Imperial', system of measurements?
At least they drive on the Right side of the road not the Wrong side of the road ! :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

101 - 120 of 163 Posts