Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a matter of interest

I have asked this question on many forums on woodworking and since this seems? to be a dedicated? router forum I thought I would also ask here. How many people using a router would use the template guides (guide bushes) on a regular basis to complete projects or part of their projects. How many users would consider using a large guide say 1 31/64ths (40mm) or even a 2'' guide.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If the project is going to be made multiple times and a template is needed then the use of bushings may be necessary

As fas a large bushing go you'll need a baseplate to accomodate them.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
template tom said:
As a matter of interest

I have asked this question on many forums on woodworking and since this seems? to be a dedicated? router forum I thought I would also ask here. How many people using a router would use the template guides (guide bushes) on a regular basis to complete projects or part of their projects. How many users would consider using a large guide say 1 31/64ths (40mm) or even a 2'' guide.
I use guides often, the largest I have is a 1 1/4 OD about the limit for the standard PC guides. I think oak park has a larger dia. set (1 1/2").

Now tell us why we might want a 40mm or 2" guide........

Ed

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,784 Posts
I use bushings pretty regularly, ever since I had one project severely damaged when using a top guided pattern bit. The lock collar on the bearing came loose, and the bearing worked its way up the shank and above the template. Guides just seem a little more "foolproof."

They also remove any excuses for taking too big of cuts. Just chuck up a larger OD guide, and you can use the same template, but nibble off the waste.

I do have a favorite 1/2 in flush trim bit that I use a lot as well, just because it cuts so well.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reible said:
I use guides often, the largest I have is a 1 1/4 OD about the limit for the standard PC guides. I think oak park has a larger dia. set (1 1/2").

Ed
Thanks to all who replied
In answer to your question Ed

(1) A greater range of cutters can be used

(2) You have a good chance at seeing the cutter in action

(3) All that waste material will clear more readily without the cutter over heating

(4) ......and the most important reason, Small cutters such as the 1/4" range when in use, the chuck will penetrate through the guide to give the depth required without 'Crimping' that extra bit out of the chuck therefore adding safety awareness to your routing.

There are other reasons for the use of the 40mm but these are the main reasons.

Once the templates are constructed people with impaired vision and even totally blind people can use the method

With the use of the guides I have produced projects that was omce considered only possible with a CNC router
Tom

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
reible said:

Ed

Tried to send a posting with answer unable to send This is only a trial before I submit my answer or you could email me
Tom

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just an Idea how to get your large guide bushing

template tom said:
As a matter of interest

I was thinking about this subject when an idea came to me. I have not done this and maybe it will not work but then again it might.

Make a new sub-base then when you make the holes make them the size of the a piece of 2" or what ever PVC pipe. You might want to use 3/8" thick materal then have the pipe inset 1/4". make the PVC just short of a 1/2" then glue it in place.

If you make this let us know how it worked, I might want to make one too. Of course detail of what you did would help.

Ed

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
BobandRick said:
This is great stuff!!! But, shouldn't this be in router forums/portable routing, maybe?
Anyone know how to move threads?

any one any one at all?

I sent mail to Mark so we will see what happens.

Ed

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
I will get Mark to move the thread...maybe we should add templates and router bits to portable routing forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With that big of a bit or guide I would rather use a fence or set up a pin router on my table. What in the world are you cutting?

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nasanut said:
With that big of a bit or guide I would rather use a fence or set up a pin router on my table. What in the world are you cutting?
With the 40mm guide (1 37/64ths) I sometimes use a 1.6mm cutter for the project I am working on at the time. I also use a 33mm cutter when I am designing chair legs for a table or chair. It has the advantage of routing with a greater range of cutter diameters. All in the plunge mode.
Tom

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Nasanut said:
I see the words "pin router", and it sounds like you have one, since my question is off topic for here could you please go to:
http://www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=113
and tell us about it?????

OK now we can get back to the subject at hand.

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few days ago there was a table on using guide bushings with router bits and what distance you need from the pattern. I tried to copy it and couldn't. I do not know why and now I can not find it again on router form. Will someone tell me where it is?
Thank you Walter

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Walter Rood said:
A few days ago there was a table on using guide bushings with router bits and what distance you need from the pattern. I tried to copy it and couldn't. I do not know why and now I can not find it again on router form. Will someone tell me where it is?
Thank you Walter
Walter,

Try here:
www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=163

Ed

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have never found a good reason for having a table to do the calculations I simply find out what I need and insert the required guide and cutter. I work it out at the source. I suppose a table would be of interest to those starting out with template guides.

Learn how to use the guides and you will increase your router's potential by 50%
Tom

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Nasanut said:

Sorry I did answer this posting before now please forgive me.

I was preparing some legs for a number of chairs and the reason why I used a 40mm Guide was I was routing with a 33mm cutter that required the necessary clearance. The cutter could not be used with any smaller guide that I had at the time (and still do not have) see pics of legs

·
Registered
120 Posts
I often use the router bush that came with the router which is 30mm.
I also use a 16mm (5/8") and a 11mm (7/16") that came with my dovetail jig.
I usually use the bushes when routing to jigs I have made from MDF.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts