Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
embarked on a new project -- an end table that called for curved fronts on the 2 drawers -- problem is -- i don't have a band saw -- so i had to come up with an alternate approach -- i adapted a technique i have used in the past to cut shapes or circles -- as i am sure many of you have as well -- a template coupled with flush trim bit -- just had to do it from opposite sides of the same piece of wood while maintaining the position of the templates exactly opposed --

created the upper and lower templates from a third so they would be exactly the same -- and secured the templates using double sticky tape -- employed a freud 50-115 top bearing flush trim bit with a 1 3/4" cutting length -- from the top and bottom and then cut the middle with a whiteside 2555 triple flute flush trim bit with a bottom bearing -- ended up using the second from both sides as well to clean up a little residual offset left from the first pass -- after a little sanding -- i was pleased with the result --

nothing you can't do with a router .....

curved  001.jpg curved  002.jpg curved  003.jpg curved  004.jpg curved  005.jpg curved  006.jpg curved  009.jpg curved  010.jpg

·
Registered
Steve
1,688 Posts
Nice going! I have cut a circular table top before with the router, but not yet embarked on curves. Maybe for a future project.
But that's looking great, please show us the finished piece too.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,027 Posts
Have you any shots showing the router on the template, also how did you clean off the centre piece?

·
Registered
Paul
1,962 Posts
Very nice. Not something that I'll be trying very soon!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
many thanks for your replies -- i'm sorry but i do not have any pics of the router on the template -- the top bearing bit was actually a freud 50 -118 that had a 1 3/4" cutting length -- so after using that from top and bottom i was left with a 1/2" residual thru the center that i cleaned up with the whiteside 2555 which has a 2" cutting length and 4 1/4 overall length with a bottom bearing -- i reached across from the bottom side first -- left a slight ridge on the top side of the center section so i figured i must not be keeping the bit parallel to the face -- so i turned it back over and repeated the whiteside bit from the top and got rid of most of the ridge -- little sanding finished off the rest -- have decided to add a second drawer to the table -- will post pics of the router on the template -- the key was to find flush trim bits that would chuck safely with enough reach when added together to cover the 4" wide front --

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,027 Posts
many thanks for your replies -- i'm sorry but i do not have any pics of the router on the template -- the top bearing bit was actually a freud 50 -118 that had a 1 3/4" cutting length -- so after using that from top and bottom i was left with a 1/2" residual thru the center that i cleaned up with the whiteside 2555 which has a 2" cutting length and 4 1/4 overall length with a bottom bearing -- i reached across from the bottom side first -- left a slight ridge on the top side of the center section so i figured i must not be keeping the bit parallel to the face -- so i turned it back over and repeated the whiteside bit from the top and got rid of most of the ridge -- little sanding finished off the rest -- have decided to add a second drawer to the table -- will post pics of the router on the template -- the key was to find flush trim bits that would chuck safely with enough reach when added together to cover the 4" wide front --
Thank you for that additional information, it's almost as good as a few photographs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts