Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A router to the rescue

Guys I needed to add a 2/6 board to the upper perimeter of my tub. Unfortunately the wall had already been spray foamed , and the additional board was an after thought .

Well I was thinking , why not put a wide bit in my router and install the bushing guide on the bottom plate , and secure two pieces of 1/2" BB across horizontaly to act as a temporary guide .
Well it worked perfect . Milled an exact depth dado of 1.5" to accommodate a 2/6 board .
Amazing what routers are capable of when you think about it .

The first board on the right is just test fit , and I'll pull it out and put pocket holes in it to secure it in place later . I'm just impressed as to how well it fit

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
use a wide spade bit and your cordless to chew out need to...
install board...
repair over gouging w/ non expanding closed cell foam...
save destroying your router...
the foam particles and the router's generated motor heat do not play nicely together...
lot less mess too...

Reactions: neville9999

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
use a wide spade bit and your cordless to chew out need to...
install board...
repair over gouging w/ non expanding closed cell foam...
save destroying your router...
the foam particles and the router's generated motor heat do not play nicely together...
lot less mess too...
You know that thought never crossed my mind . Good point Stick.

It sure does a clean job though

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
stick is full of......ideas. :laugh2:
I marvel at how I see people tackle jobs and come up with different solutions to a particular problem. Any advice on how to win the lottery, besides buying a ticket? >:)

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey Rick I guess you are cutting your tub boards with your new Christmas Kapex saw. Does it work great?
Yes I'm super impressed with the saw . Never imagined I could use a Miter saw in the house before this . Sure is handy when you want to keep taking that little bit extra off a piece to get it just right , and not having to go outside every time to do it .
Dust seems very minimal if anything . Liking the dual laser also :)

Having the Festool dust collector in the house is handy to , as I just swap from saw to router and clean ups a breeze

NO,NO Rick put insulation in don't remove it!
LMAO! , I got a good chuckle out of that this morning :)

stick is full of......ideas. :laugh2:
I marvel at how I see people tackle jobs and come up with different solutions to a particular problem. Any advice on how to win the lottery, besides buying a ticket? >:)
Speaking of the lottery, we just had a guy in town two Saturdays ago win $4.9 million . Doug used to work for us in the programming department, and is actually the guy who spray foamed my walls . He's mid 50's and retired now though . Must be nice

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did the Festool DC handle the foam dust? From the router, much escape?
Herb
Not well Herb , as I forgot to put the vacuum hose on it . I was looking down as things were progressing and going , what the heck , there sure a lot of spray foam on the floor ? Then I realized the hose wasn't connected lol .
I put it on towards the end , but not sure how much it helped at that point .
I'm doing some more smaller cuts for 2/4s and will find out this afternoon I guess. I'm not expecting a great outcome regardless though

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Not well Herb , as I forgot to put the vacuum hose on it . I was looking down as things were progressing and going , what the heck , there sure a lot of spray foam on the floor ? Then I realized the hose wasn't connected lol .
I put it on towards the end , but not sure how much it helped at that point .
I'm doing some more smaller cuts for 2/4s and will find out this afternoon I guess. I'm not expecting a great outcome regardless though
Foam dust is really hard to contain, I hate to cut foam with the table saw or bandsaw,or even a handsaw. A knife makes less of a mess , but in your application would be hard to do.
It has a lot to do with static electricity too ,seems to cling to everything. A hot knife would be ideal if a guy could figure out how to do it.
We used a lot of Styrofoam blocks for block outs in concrete work and sometimes would use gasoline to just dissolve the foam. Not for your application either.
I do think your idea is a good one disregarding the dust.
Herb

·
Registered
88 Posts
Guys I needed to add a 2/6 board to the upper perimeter of my tub. Unfortunately the wall had already been spray foamed , and the additional board was an after thought .

Well I was thinking , why not put a wide bit in my router and install the bushing guide on the bottom plate , and secure two pieces of 1/2" BB across horizontaly to act as a temporary guide .
Well it worked perfect . Milled an exact depth dado of 1.5" to accommodate a 2/6 board .
Amazing what routers are capable of when you think about it .

The first board on the right is just test fit , and I'll pull it out and put pocket holes in it to secure it in place later . I'm just impressed as to how well it fit
I absolutely love this use of a router!:smile::smile:

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Chris it worked better than I thought . Sorry as I'm finding when you upload pics here they turn sideways if they are in portrait mode , but you get the idea . Unfortunately I can't get Photobucket to upload anymore .
Once I remembered to hook up the hose to the router, then noticed the dust cover was still in its open position and closed it , I found the router actually sucked up about 75% of the foam dust .
The left hand side of the pic is the top . You can see where I had two pieces of 1/2" Baltic birch secured to the studs acting as a guide

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sure love my Kreg pocket hole jig . It sure came in useful , and I find I'm using it quite often :)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts