Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here. I was searching the net for thickness planers and came across these on Ebay.
They are selling Dewalt DW735X, s for 120 dollars and free shipping.
When I check the Dewalt site, they go for 5, 6 and 7, hundred
Looks like the same thing.
Do you guys think this is a scam?
I just searched Thickness Planers and several came up with these for sale. Says they have 4 of them.

David

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
David,

Was that an auction or buy it now??

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Plus it says the seller is "based in Norway". But the items are sold in Louisville.

Maybe we can get Honestjohn to buy one to see if this is a good sale??

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
if something sounds too good or a bit questionable...
be warty...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
You can be pretty much guaranteed that it is a scam. Amazon has scammers too. I'm seeing those type deals on facebook too like a Milwaukee drill and impact driver set for $60. Mine were $300. Like Stick said, if it sounds too good to be true... If they have feedback it's usually a good idea to read them. The truth is often in the feedback as in didn't receive it, was a cheap knockoff, didn't work, etc.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can be pretty much guaranteed that it is a scam. Amazon has scammers too. I'm seeing those type deals on facebook too like a Milwaukee drill and impact driver set for $60. Mine were $300. Like Stick said, if it sounds too good to be true... If they have feedback it's usually a good idea to read them. The truth is often in the feedback as in didn't receive it, was a cheap knockoff, didn't work, etc.
I agree, I buy a lot of stuff off of Ebay and I always read their feedbacks. Generally, if they are not at 100%, I will look else where.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
That page won't even come up now. Something's not right.

Reactions: old coasty

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
I agree, I buy a lot of stuff off of Ebay and I always read their feedbacks. Generally, if they are not at 100%, I will look else where.
I'd be willing to accept a bit less than 100%. After all, there are people that are going to complain about anything.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
I'll pass. Too good to be true and don't want to donate any money to scammers. Even used, this is a minimum of $350-$400 bucks. I sure as heck would not give a CC number.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pay with PayPal for extra protection. Worst case is you will get your money back in a few weeks.
But sometimes not worth the effort.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like we all lose out on this one, that ad doesn't even come up now.
And I had Honestjohn ready to buy one.

David

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Rockler has the 735 with in/out feed tables and a set of extra knives at 649 and is currently throwing the stand in for that price.

·
Official Greeter
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's a scam. I had that experience on Amazon a few years ago. What they do is come back after you make the purchase and ask for more money for shipping because the shipping carrier won't allow them to ship with free shipping. They will tell you that the item is too heavy and shipper needs more money. BS. Run fast and hard. It takes Amazon, E bay, etc., a while to catch them and they get booted off the site, only to show up under a different name later.
Our local Sheriff's office says many times it's terrorist organizations that do this to help support their cause. Many times they will get your email address from your original correspondence and contact you outside of Amazon, eBay, etc,. and try to get you to not go through those sites so you have NO protection against fraud and will not get your money back. It's a serious problem that our government can't seem to curtail.
Many times they will ask you to go to a store and purchase iTunes or some other type of card and send them the numbers on the back after purchase. They then take those numbers and buy things like phones and minutes for communication.
All you will be doing if you get caught up in this is aiding terrorist and never get your money back.
THIS IS A FACT!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
When I see listings like this it sets off an alarm that prohibits me from even considering it. Maybe a rare deal might slip through but I prefer safer than not. And most all of my buys are through PayPal which secures my information from prying eyes. What also bothers me about both eBay and Amazon is that it is sometimes hard to tell where the item is being shipped from. Several have come directly from China which I probably would have not gone through with.

But sometimes great deals do come up. My son called me yesterday and asked me to look at a Craigslist listing. The guy had a lathe, bandsaw, 15" planner, and 6" jointer, all Grizzly and older models with an asking price of $1200. Turns out he's older, moving and plan doesn't want to move the heavier tools. It would have been a 150 mile trip but worth it as they appeared to be in great shape and mostly what my son was looking for. The listing was 9 hours old when Scott called and of course they were gone already. The guy figured it would be months but less than 2 hours after posting he had cash in hand and the buyer was loading his truck. Oh well......

·
Registered
508 Posts
I need some help here. I was searching the net for thickness planers and came across these on Ebay.
They are selling Dewalt DW735X, s for 120 dollars and free shipping.
When I check the Dewalt site, they go for 5, 6 and 7, hundred
Looks like the same thing.
Do you guys think this is a scam?
I just searched Thickness Planers and several came up with these for sale. Says they have 4 of them.

David
This could be a credit card ‘farming’ scam - they give you the opp to make the purchase with your personal card - no PayPal option - and then tell you it’s not available anymore. They get your card info and you get nothing...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts