Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was sorting one of the drawers in my desk today and came across a PhotoStick that I had forgotten about. For those not familiar with this device, it is a USB stick containing a program that finds and stores every photograph in the computer and is supposed to reject duplicates 'tho it didn't for me! It's made in the USA.
Well I popped it into my computer and saw that it held just under 6000 photos. I only had time to look at a few but among them were some that I hadn't seen for a long time, probably lost with one of my HD crashes. Two shots stuck out at me, the first a bunch of router bits that had arrived that day, they cost $3.50 Ozzie dollars each. A warehouse was quitting all stock. I have used most of them and they are perfect in every way. I wonder how all the other members who bought some after I posted the details found them.
The second shot clearly shows the direction of feed on the router table. Many newcomers over the years have asked about direction of feed. This shot shows that when the wood is fed from right to left the cutters do their job, but if fed from left to right this doesn't happen and in fact this can damage the joint of the Carbide blade and shoot the wood across the shop. For hand held routing it's the opposite, router moves from left to right.
NOTE...a bit without a bearing should NEVER be used without a properly set fence.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I remember the "Photo Stick". I'm glad it's still working. I've gotten burned recently by saving pics on "Flash Drives" that later did not open up! Looking at External Hard Drives for the important stuff.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,784 Posts
I remember the "Photo Stick". I'm glad it's still working. I've gotten burned recently by saving pics on "Flash Drives" that later did not open up! Looking at External Hard Drives for the important stuff.
External hard drives fail as well.... Which is why I have a RAID storage system now. I can lose any 2 drives and still have everything safe

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
External hard drives fail as well.... Which is why I have a RAID storage system now. I can lose any 2 drives and still have everything safe
My raid failed on both drives during a lighting strike , that’s why I use Apples Cloud for storage .
Not serious, although I do pay a buck a month for their cloud storage

·
Official Greeter
18,749 Posts
My raid failed on both drives during a lighting strike , that’s why I use Apples Cloud for storage .
Not serious, although I do pay a buck a month for their cloud storage

How much space do you get for "a buck a month"?

My pictures alone take over 200GB......LOL:laugh2:

Reactions: artman60

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have used internal hard drives up to 6TB for data storage of my astronomy raw data/images. I use a docking station, do the backup, and store the drives in static bags. They only run when needed and using a USB3 dock has fairly fast read rates. Of course a fire could destroy them but I don't think anything is 100% safe including Cloud storage. And then again I don't trust Cloud storage for really sensitive data in the hands of who knows what. Maybe a bit paranoid but better safe then sorry........

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have used internal hard drives up to 6TB for data storage of my astronomy raw data/images. I use a docking station, do the backup, and store the drives in static bags. They only run when needed and using a USB3 dock has fairly fast read rates. Of course a fire could destroy them but I don't think anything is 100% safe including Cloud storage. And then again I don't trust Cloud storage for really sensitive data in the hands of who knows what. Maybe a bit paranoid but better safe then sorry........
I think your paranoia is fully justified.

Way too much nefarious use of other peoples' data and information for my comfort.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Clearly film has advantages. (and prints)

Reactions: artman60

·
Registered
Steve
1,477 Posts
RAID alone does not a backup make. You'd be surprised at how often drives can fail in multiples. Even new drives are not infallible to early failure.

I hope you're making a backup to DVD or something similar which is likely to last longer.

Even some cloud storages only offer uptime rather than 100% guarantee of data retention. It would only take a significant failure on their end (malware or other).

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
All my files of any value at all are on Dropbox, 1TB for $100 per year. Almost 300 gigs on it now. It syncs up on three of my own computers and two of my daughter's. It's a really stable setup that way. Some temporary stuff is on the laptop, but there's not much of that.

·
Official Greeter
18,749 Posts
All my files of any value at all are on Dropbox, 1TB for $100 per year. Almost 300 gigs on it now. It syncs up on three of my own computers and two of my daughter's. It's a really stable setup that way. Some temporary stuff is on the laptop, but there's not much of that.

Thanks Tom. will have a look at that source.

·
Registered
Paul
1,860 Posts
... I've gotten burned recently by saving pics on "Flash Drives" that later did not open up! Looking at External Hard Drives for the important stuff.
Marco try this program that I've used to recover files from bad sticks. It's free (donations are welcome) and works as good or better than commercial products.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

I should have mentioned it can often recover erased files too.

·
Official Greeter
18,749 Posts

I have had great success with a program called "CardRecovery"... My camera would not open the pics, but CardRecovery found and opened all the files....

Reactions: harrysin
1 - 15 of 15 Posts