Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friend and fellow member in Greece sent me this amazing video, it really is a "must see"

Reactions: Gaffboat

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thank you Harry, you gave me this opportunity to come back here, and I see a new atmosphere here in RF, without the old "mystic" air of only "versed" gurus grazing around.

As I have not been here for a long time, (mainly due to work overload and - more recently - the truly dramatic days Greece is experiencing), I will try tonight to show a "porch swing" I put together last year and now is our favorite spot in the garden.

Best wishes to all

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really is nice to see you back Dimitri, try to make it a regular thing, I'm sure that it will help take your mind off the turmoil in Greece.

Reactions: jw2170

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
It's good to see you back Dimitri. Thank you for that video. It was very entertaining.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,338 Posts
Glad to see you back Dimitri.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My oh my, you people are truly good friends here, and I have neglected you for a long time. Apologies ; and soon, several new threads as compensation. I truly apologize and my excuse is the dirty politicians who took away the smile from our hearts, the hope from our wakening thought (I mean the first thought that wakens us every morning, the first "landing" from dream to reality), the good will from our plans for the day, for the year, for the future. From al lthis turmoil, only one good thing came for me, my appreciation for the times of peace the rest of Europe and the Western world lives in, and the sympathy for all those tormented by war, instability, poverty and malice everywhere else. It is a gift of God (and of government) to be living in a place where one can spend hours thinking about which router bit should do this job, clockise or otherwise? upwards on the router table or downwards with the template on top?

I came to visit my son in England, so I am rather relaxed now. Last night I heard an oud player that is completyely un-orthodox in the style he plays the oud. I give a link of one of his youtube recordings, with the thought that this minute the people in the arab world are divided into slaughterers and victims, who flee in thousands, drown in the mediterranean, are washed up in the european countries who do not want them. It is a great pity. I don't know where this oud player belongs, in the slaughterers or in the victims, I just feel like crying for all of them. May his music soften all feelings.

Here is to better days for our children, and for all those who suffer from war, politics, religion, poverty, famine.

D

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Isn't the oud normally played as more of a rhythm instrument Dimitri? At times this reminded me of the Spanish flamenco music that my father loved to listen to when I was young.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Dimitri,

You have a wonderfully, talented, young man there! I thoroughly enjoyed watching him play. You should be proud of him.

Bill

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Chuck, the oud is a very lyrical (passionate) oriental instrument. There many techniques and several players, and I enjoy most the Trio Joubran (3 brothers, Palestinians who perform in Paris). Try them in youtube, I think you will enjoy them a lot. I learned about the oud from my father, who was born in Istanbul and was thrown away - like most Greeks- in 1923, at the age of 7.

Flamenco and Arab music combined together for a few centuries (via the Arab conquest of Spain) and today the term Araboflamenco is well known. Try that in youtube as well; they have a selection to offer, although small. Also check Andaluz, a mix of Spanish and Arab, with the magnificent Amina Alaoui, from there go to search Sefardic music, etc.

We got carried a long way from wood shavings and routerbit bushings....

·
Registered
238 Posts
.. and no signature of me in the comment above. The complexity of this forum just got more serious - the more we delve into it, the more twisty it gets.
St Francisco de Assissi would say
" O Santa Simplicitas"...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts