Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can one say?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Smart horse!
When I was a teenager I had a girlfriend who owned a horse named Red. He was the smartest horse I ever met, and the only one I would have liked to own.
One day while riding him in the paddock I decided to try swinging to the ground, hitting my feet, and swinging back into the saddle, Roy Rogers style. I should have explained the plan to Red, who, unbeknownst to me had been trained to stop if the weight came out of the saddle. He stopped, I didn't. At least not immediately. I did stop, face down and flat. I tried it again and in about three more tries Red understood what I was trying to do and kept on running. Got so I could do that on either side of him at a full run, but, if I let completely go of the saddle horn he would stop. He'd also stand still when I ran up behind him and put my hands on his rump and got on just as the guy in this video did. I really liked that horse and told my GF that if she ever sold him I wanted first dibs.
It was only after I came back from Vietnam that I found out she'd sold him.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Theo,he is not just smart but Pokerjoe is also a very pretty pony & probably been with his owner/trainer since he was born.I love horses & dogs & have owned a few of each over the years. Much appreciated & thank you for sharing this video.James

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Once interviewed a Lipizzaner trainer, who had a deep southern drawl, who told me that the horses were really sensitive and all it took was a little distraction and the stallions would completely forget the routine. On the other hand, there were the mules, which did a horsey comedy act. They, the trainer said, would never forget their routine, and would perform it even if it was 6 months later. Mules, he insisted were far more intelligent than horses. Perhaps it was superior brain power, or maybe they just didn't have the distraction that makes them stallions.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd take a riding mule over a horse any day. Prettiest one I ever saw looked exactly like a horse, only difference was in the ears. It was prettier than any horse I ever saw too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts