Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to this world of routers - infact I'm looking for my first router and trying to decide weather to use a table or not - I'm 65 years old have been an office worker my whole life so I am not a real physical person - any help or suggestions will be appreciated - I come accross this site looking for router information on google

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Welcome Thomasjohn. The simple answer to your question is this: Most projects are easier with a table. You do not need to spend a fortune buying the "Super Whiz-Bang" model. Building your own table is a good way to get aquainted with your router. To make life simple use a mounting plate. This allows you to lift the router out of your table for changing router bits. The best choice for a router is one of the "combo kits" which includes both a fixed base and a plunge base. You attach the fixed base to your mounting plate for table use and the plunge base is for freehand work. Expect to pay around $200 for your router, mounting plates average between $40 to $70. Browse through this site for a wealth of information on choosing which is right for you.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
John

Just to add to Mike's post
The table mounted router is the way to go for old farts like us. :)
Getting up and down can be a big deal for us and with the drop in router, in the table top it makes it easy.
You have found the best spot on the net for asking for help with anything about routers.
I'm new to this fourm also and I enjoy it and I'm sure you will also.
It's almost a over load of info but if you love wood working like I do you will enjoy it.
Be sure to check out the
http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/
for the router boys ( Bob and Rick ) they will show you how to use your router in many new ways. (on your computer in real time)

Have a good one John

Bj :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.