Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s three projects I did this winter as part of our lower level remodeling effort. (The joys of being an empty nester.)

Window seat / storage area. The frame was 2 x 4’s. The face frame was made from standard big box poplar. The seat was birch pw but I added 1.5” poplar edging to all 4 sides. The doors are frame and panel construction, with poplar frames and Masonite ‘fake’ beadboard. We covered the paneling with fabric that was Mod Podge’d in place. The joinery was either pocket screw or dowel. The stain was General Finishes (Java 2 coats) and top coat was General Finishes (Gel Top Coat – a urethane mixture 3 coats).

Fireplace Mantel - I had a fireplaces roughed in. I finally have one finished. Here is the mantel and tile work. The mantel is maple. (Coated with BLO and 3 coats of General Finishes Gel Top Coat) What a struggle! I tried 5 different profiles but my wife turned them all down. Here is the final effort. Note I ended up purchasing the lower portion of the mantel from Harland Planing Mill. I just couldn't get a profile we liked and Hartland so easy to work with. The one pic shows where my router got away from me.

Bookcase /storage - I had an alcove at either end of the family room. I put a large screen TV and sound bar in one and built this unit for the other. This is melamine covered particle board from a big box store. There's 1" square cherry pieces contrasting the white where the pieces join. The unit is bolted together will all the hardware visible.

I can't figure out how to put the pics with the correct text???

Thanks for looking. Comments and questions are fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
This empty nester thing ain't all bad, is it??

Good show!

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Nice job Berry, like the accents on the bookcase

Reactions: oldhudson49

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Can't take credit for the design, it's from an old Sunset Book. They were popular with DIY'ers in the 70's.
I remember them, still have a pile lying around somewhere, will have to take a look through them.

The cherry inserts really contrast well with the white melamine - are they full length or just "plugs" at the outer face?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.