Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Hope everyone is well. I am pretty much embarrassed to even ask this question.

I am attempting to make some small boxes ( 5” x 5” x 6”) with Through Dovetail Joins using a Porter Cable 4216 Dovetail Jig.

Whether making Tails or Pins, after the first pass for the second routing on the same piece is the board only rotated 180 degrees or rotated 180 degrees and flipped over so the other uncut side is facing you before cutting?

Many thanks,

Lyman

-- "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son (Jesus), that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - JOHN 3:16

·
Official Greeter
19,961 Posts
I have not used a dovetail jig for some time now, but, I believe some jigs require the board to be rotated and moved to the other end of the jig.

·
Official Greeter
19,961 Posts
PS, I see from the manual, that question does not seem to be answered.

Do you have acopy of the manual? I can send you a copy if you need it.

·
Official Greeter
19,961 Posts
Also the Rockler jig, which appears to be similar say to flip the piece end for end, keeping the inside face toward the operator...

·
Official Greeter
19,961 Posts
Here is a copy if you want..

Attachments

·
Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greetings,

Hope everyone is well. I am pretty much embarrassed to even ask this question.

I am attempting to make some small boxes ( 5” x 5” x 6”) with Through Dovetail Joins using a Porter Cable 4216 Dovetail Jig.

Whether making Tails or Pins, after the first pass for the second routing on the same piece is the board only rotated 180 degrees or rotated 180 degrees and flipped over so the other uncut side is facing you before cutting?

Many thanks,

Lyman

-- "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son (Jesus), that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - JOHN 3:16
Thanks! The manual makes it clear that both cuts are to be on the same side due to the placement of the guide being on the left side. There is no mention in the manual of removing the board after first cut and just rotating it 180 or rotating it 180 and flipping it for the second cut.

Best,

Lyman

·
Official Greeter
19,961 Posts
The only thing I would suggest is to do a test cut, using the method that Rockler reccommend..

Reactions: RiovistaAndy

·
Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a copy if you want..
Thank you for sending the manual! It is the same one I have the shipped with the 4216 and makes no mention how to orient the board for the second cut. (While I've gone through the entre manual it should be mentioned at least on pages 16 1-7). I.e., just rotate it 180 or rotate it 180 and flip it so the other side is facing you. I'm surprised they do not mention that.

I've gone through many videos and for whatever reasons it's skipped over in the footage.

Best,

Lyman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.