Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 4th and 5th installment in the Arts and Crafts Panel Bed video series has been released!

If you are intimidated by the through mortise and tenon joint, you should check out the latest videos. I’ll show you a method to make perfectly sized and spaced mortises without a mortising machine or router.

To watch the videos, for measured drawings, and in-process pictures, you can visit the project page at Eagle Lake Woodworking:
Arts and Crafts Bed - Stickley Panel Bed

The inspiration bed:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Very cool way of dealing with the leg mortises. I'll be waiting to see the final finish and assembly.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi John

Very nice work bench John :) ,,can't wait to see what you can make/produce on it..:)

One more great video :)

===========

The 4th and 5th installment in the Arts and Crafts Panel Bed video series has been released!

If you are intimidated by the through mortise and tenon joint, you should check out the latest videos. I’ll show you a method to make perfectly sized and spaced mortises without a mortising machine or router.

To watch the videos, for measured drawings, and in-process pictures, you can visit the project page at Eagle Lake Woodworking:
Arts and Crafts Bed - Stickley Panel Bed

The inspiration bed:

·
Registered
399 Posts
John,

Your post intrigues me...I can't watch videos here at my day job, but will definitely take a look at this later. BTW, This past weekend I caught your video on YouTube on loose tenon joinery (tool stand project). I have been leaning this way on a similar project and your video really sold me on this. You do great work and I really appreciate the effort to share with others.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool way of dealing with the leg mortises. I'll be waiting to see the final finish and assembly.
I assembled the headboard and foot board last night and things went pretty well. You’ll see that and the side rails / support system in the next video. Thanks for checking out the videos!
John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John,

Your post intrigues me...I can't watch videos here at my day job, but will definitely take a look at this later. BTW, This past weekend I caught your video on YouTube on loose tenon joinery (tool stand project). I have been leaning this way on a similar project and your video really sold me on this. You do great work and I really appreciate the effort to share with others.
Hi Frank,

Loose tenon joinery certainly simplifies things. Once you get a decent method down for making tenons, it's kind of a toss up which way to go. I like loose tenon joinery for the little fudge factor it provides, ease of assembly, and strength. I usually pick integral tenons when I'm going to do a through mortise and tenon joint.

The posts construction in this latest video is essentially a build-up around the tenon. It's a nice way to get perfectly spaced and sized tenons, and in the case of my bed, I think it simplifed the construction to approach it this way. Just another trick to have in the bag I guess.

John

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi John,

I watched all five videos. Very impressive. I caught a number of innovative techniques that I will remember to try on upcoming projects. The Benny Hill style speed up gave me a great chuckle which I needed after a hard week.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
John, as always thanks for posting great info. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi John,

I watched all five videos. Very impressive. I caught a number of innovative techniques that I will remember to try on upcoming projects. The Benny Hill style speed up gave me a great chuckle which I needed after a hard week.
Thanks Frank.
I have fond memories of watching Benny Hill with my Dad as a kid. Sorry my Benny Hill scene didn't have any half-naked women! Maybe next time :D
I'm glad you liked it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts