Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched "the Router Workshop" yesterday and realized that Bob and Rick pop their router out of the table often. I have the Oak-Park table top and insert that they use and mine fits very tightly.

What's the best way to make it fit looser? Shave off the plastic insert (base plate) with something, or shave off the table top 'hole' with something?

~Julie~

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,946 Posts
Julie,
I actually like the fact that the plate fits into the table slightly. I have had the oak park table for about four years now, and it has loosened up some, but is still nice and snug. I think this gives more accuracy. My previous table with an insert was one I had made, and I had oversized the cut just a tad too much and it was awful. I ended up using body filler to tighten the hole up some. When I had my router table in the extension wing of my table saw, it was bolted up tightly, but a pain to change bits. The tight insert in the oak park table is a happy medium in my humble opinion.

If you find you just have to loosen things up a bit, I would recommend lightly sanding one side of your insert plate and see what happens.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Gosh Julie, you women are never satisfied. Now if I may be so bold... do you really want to have a sloppy fit? I realize it may be a bit more of a challenge when it fits so snuggly. The plus side to this is it wont shift when you are making a cut. Other companies use screws to secure their plates, or special "corner snugging" clamps like on the Rousseau plate. All that trouble to make sure their plates have a tight fit. I guess a simple rule of wear is true: The more you use it the looser it fits... ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I can't pop mine out to change bits. Have to bend down and do it under the table. On the show they pull it up and out and lay it on the table.
(Oh dear, I just re read that and better stop before I get in trouble!)

~Julie~

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
Julie said:
Well, I can't pop mine out to change bits. Have to bend down and do it under the table. On the show they pull it up and out and lay it on the table.
(Oh dear, I just re read that and better stop before I get in trouble!)

~Julie~
The base plate has curved edges, which allows you the ability to change the fit as needed. Just sand the edges slightly, testing the fit as you sand...we want the fit to be snug but still easy to remove when changing the router bits. The base will work into the table with use and once you have the base worked in you will see that the table will be much easier and more fun to use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts