Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's time to take care of all that dust making my *I wont say where I put the saw" uninhabitable.

My saw (DW745) has a little tube that I supposed is used to put there a hose from a vacuum.. but, since I'm totally new to this, I'd like to know if is only that or there is something else I should consider before doing that.

I googled a bit and there are some complex thingies called cyclone, and some woodworkers have also big-flashy-expensive setups to collect dust... wont work for me.

Any help is appreciated!.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Now I'm beginning to understand what a dust collector is, it has nothing to do with a shop vac :p, they are on another level. Money wise too!.

So, there is little I can do with a shop vac right?, any other alternatives?, the MDF is killing me when I use the table saw, I have to find a way to remove the most I can at least.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stringer, my saw has something like this in the dust exit:

The dust does not fall in the floor, but it is contained inside. When that thing gets filled with dust, the air generated by the blade rotating throws dust to my face :p, sounds funny but it's not :(.

I just saw an article about how a cyclone is and the concept behind it, interesting, and it's homemade-able, which is cool.

But, I got a doubt, how powerful my shop vac has to be in order to actually extract dust?, because after I finish cutting MDF it's a mess..

(Also maybe my blade has a little wobble and it has a broad kerf, that probably doesn't help either)

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so now I'm beginning to understand things a little bit better, I need a separator (cyclone or thien) to avoid my shop vac to get instantly filled with saw dust, makes sense.

Now, about the fine dust (MDF produces a very fine dust that clouds the air) and the potency of the shop vac, what are my options?, how can I make my vac to suck almost everything?.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, to summarize (correct if Im wrong)

1- get a powerful shop vac (something like 2hp)
2- buy/make a Dust Deputy (cyclone) or a Thien separator (simpler cylone?)
3- connect shop vac to the DD/Thien, connect DD/thien to the exit of the saw.
4- profit.

About the respirator mask, I thought about it but it will only be useful as long as I have my air clean, and the only way to achieve that is if my dust collection system works. Otherwise I would have to live with the respirator mask forever!, like in one of those post-apocalypse movies :p.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I +1 to John, I'm connecting a shop vac to the router's fence and it works very nicely, almost no dust exposed. The only problem I noticed is when you have to make a groove with a considerable distance from the fence, so the dust goes.. everywhere, since the hose is connected to the fence. In this case, I think a hose that is under the router bit would work.

(I keep being ignored by Dewalt about their dust collection adapter... they didn't provide it with the kit and they won't tell me where/if I can buy it somewhere else...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.