Router Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
22,014 Posts
not everyone has a dust deputy...
might be a good idea to add a warning.disclaimer for those that haven't one...
Good idea Stick. I do think you MUST have a chip collector of some sort for any workable system, and that will suppress screws and sparkable stuff from hitting an impeller, even in a shop vac. I saw a review of the Home Depot separator that rated it only slightly below the smaller dust deputy. So even someone with a very low budget and a shop vac can have a separator. I think many newbies see the Thein as above their present skill level.

On the dust output of a jointer, it's pretty fluffy, so a separator of some sort is a must. My Powermatic quickly clogs up if I forget to thurn on the DC (happens). But the DeWalt 735 just needs a receptical that puts the fluff into a container without the need for a DC unit. Just have to make a screened exit for the air flow to escape faster than it comes in.

Here's the drawing of a boxed collector unit I was thinking of making for the 735. It would probably have a drawer with a side door to access the drawer. It will fill up fast.

Then again, I could probably do it with a trash barrel and a plywood top with a port and large screened area.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Just don't use the dc as floor clean up tool

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Just don't use the dc as floor clean up tool
On my first DC installation.I had the DC fan sucking direct into the fan and exhausting to the cyclone. Then on the second one, I have now, The fan sucks out of the cyclone and blows into the filter so there is nothing but some fine dust going through the the DC fan. My impeller is cast aluminumumum. or is that aluminium?

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Tom the baffle you show will cause some back pressure and a decrease in air flow efficiency. How much is hard to say without testing the design with baffle vs no baffle. I think I personally would be more inclined to try and get the flow to spiral around the canister like it does in a cyclone. Hopefully most of what's left in the air stream would settle out before the flow moves to the center and goes up.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
another thought...
any metal you pick up will be really tough on the flex...
as in it'll make holes...

·
Registered
22,014 Posts
Unlikely to change my cleanup procedure much. Have a shop vac I might try to use. Need to get a small DD for it for that purpose. Has to move around easily. Not an issue just now.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
broom and dust pan..
vac for fines clean up...
age old proven methods done safely...

·
Registered
22,014 Posts
I'd have to do a cleanup before I could use a dust pan to clean up before I use the shop vac to clean up. These days I keep a Sharps container on hand and all the screws and such get put in there.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'd have to do a cleanup before I could use a dust pan to clean up before I use the shop vac to clean up. These days I keep a Sharps container on hand and all the screws and such get put in there.
your DC not doing as good of job as you proclaim???

·
Registered
22,014 Posts
@Stick486 They're doing just fine, better still since I rearranged, shortened and straightened the connections. Have to do the same for the one in the garage, but other matters are more pressing. We're just talking loose screws here.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.