Router Forums banner

Tips and Tricks for Scrolling

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  whitewolf710 
#1 ·
Some of the scrollers out there will have been using these tips and tricks but for the others this is for you
1. when stack cutting your wood ( using 1/8 or 1/4 ) always wrap your wood with packing tape or painters tape both methods work but my preference is packing tape i wrap a layer all the way around my wood then use a spray glue to attach my pattern to the tape this way when you are done cutting the tape peals off easier than trying to scrap all the paper off your wood .
This works for any thickness of wood you cut on a scrollsaw.

2.Always use sharp blades never keep cutting with a dull blade you are looking for trouble.

3.The old scrollsaw books say to use brad nails to do stack cutting UGH it scratches the table top dont listen to them,

4. Wax your table I use min wax clear furniture polish every month whether it needs it or not i put a dab on with my fingers smear it all around covering the whole table then buff it off this makes the work glide across the table making turning easier.

5.Did you follow instructions when setting up your saw and level your saw great now forget the leveling and RAISE THE SAW UP about three inches in the back (still keep it level when looking at the front of your blade but get the back up as high as it will go.
Think of it this way after cutting for any lenght of time hunched over your saw your back starts talking to you right , Well shouldnt your work be looking at you instead raise your saw up in the back now your work is looking at you making it easier to see your work and giving your back a more comfortable position to hold for any length of time

See less See more
#3 ·

Attachments

#4 ·
I tried Garnet Halls last year at the woodshow here in Edmonton Man what a sweet saw i tried his saw and there was no comparison its like driving a caddilac and going back to a dump truck afterwards the saw cuts straight and true and the arm tilts instead of the table I own a dewalt which in my opinion is the next saw down (Most would say a hegner ) ive had deltas ,craftsmans, and now a dewalt i would never go back to a lower price model.
You get what you pay for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.