Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am in need of some advice please....

I want to join to pieces of 2 inch timber togther on a 90 degree joint using tongue and groove method.

I just cannot seem to cut the joints......I am able to cut about 1 1/2 inches into the piece so that the cut does not show when I join the two together, problem is the end of the cut leave a slant where the cutting T&G blades had been stopped from cutting futher, I cannot seem to cut a smooth finish joining the pieces together.

Any advice please

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hi guys,

I want to join to pieces of 2 inch timber togther on a 90 degree joint using tongue and groove method.

I just cannot seem to cut the joints......I am able to cut about 1 1/2 inches into the piece so that the cut does not show when I join the two together, problem is the end of the cut leave a slant where the cutting T&G blades had been stopped from cutting futher, I cannot seem to cut a smooth finish joining the pieces together.

Any advice please
Hi rab - welcome to the forum:)

I guess I'm having trouble understanding what you are trying to do, a "STOPPED" tongue and groove?:confused:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi,
I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you are doing. If you are doing a stopped tongue & groove as John mentioned are you talking about the radius of material left from the round bit? If so just use a chisel to square out your groove from the cutter.

A picture of your situation would help understand what you are trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I think I know what you are trying to do,,this a norm on the T & G joints on the shaker way of making cabinet doors, etc.
The T & G bits will do a good job and the joints will be on the blind inside of the frame, you will need to make your own set of the T & G bits, most don't go more than 3/4" wide stock the norm, I made my own arbors to do just that, they will do a 2 1/4" wide stock, but you will need to stack the cutters up..

=======

Hi guys,

Any advice please

1 - 5 of 5 Posts