Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have stated before I have a very small shop with limited space to place large tools.

My question is this, which tool would offer better results in building boxes and clocks? A Drill Press or Miter Saw? I do have all the corded hand tools necessary to accomplish most tasks. Drills, jig saw, circular saw, routers, etc. I did some rearranging yesterday and managed to gain enough space to place either a Drill Press or Miter Saw, but not both. The reason I ask this is because I can get a 5 speed bench top drill press for $60.00 or a 10 inch sliding miter saw for $80.00, both new. I can see the need for both, but would like input from more experienced woodworkers as to which would be more practical.

Thanks for any opinion offered.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a good table saw? If yes, then that can do he work of the miter saw.
Don't have room for a table saw or band saw. Either of those would take up more space than either the drill press or miter saw. I think though if I had the room I would prefer a band saw over a table saw because in my opinion a band saw is much more versatile and a circular saw can do as much as a table saw if not more. After saying that it occurred to me a circular saw can do anything a miter saw can do so that means a drill press is the more logical purchase.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My sliding Mitre saw is one of the most useful pieces of kit in my whole workshop, couldnt do without it now. I have a drill press but to honest I use it rarely, choosing to use hand held corded drill for most drilling tasks.
To me personally its a no brainer - Mitre Saw

·
Registered
861 Posts
Don't have room for a table saw or band saw. Either of those would take up more space than either the drill press or miter saw. I think though if I had the room I would prefer a band saw over a table saw because in my opinion a band saw is much more versatile and a circular saw can do as much as a table saw if not more. After saying that it occurred to me a circular saw can do anything a miter saw can do so that means a drill press is the more logical purchase.
Are you doing your woodworking in a closet? You'd be surprised at what you could load up a shop with.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Ken, I have my benchtop tools mounted using easily accessed bolts with big wing nuts. I've got plenty of room for all of my tools - but I sometimes need the Drill Press and Miter Saw to play musical chairs - I am able to move either or both of them quite easily. If the prices you indicated are for good quality tools - you cannot go wrong buying both.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Normally I would suggest a Table Saw is the first choice, but if room really prevents it, then a quality sliding miter saw.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The reason I ask this is because I can get a 5 speed bench top drill press for $60.00 or a 10 inch sliding miter saw for $80.00, both new.
Everything here in Canada costs more than in the US so I may be off base here but a miter saw for $80.00? I agree with a miter saw being the best choice but a cheap tool that won't cut straight is a waste of money and an ongoing source of frustration. Is this a quality tool or a regrettable purchase?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Everything here in Canada costs more than in the US so I may be off base here but a miter saw for $80.00? I agree with a miter saw being the best choice but a cheap tool that won't cut straight is a waste of money and an ongoing source of frustration. Is this a quality tool or a regrettable purchase?
On the same note, a drill press for $60, both new? What brand? A drill press can drill an out of round hole, just as well as a miter box can cut crooked. I would want to see my new $60 drill press in action before I took it home. Honestly, I would buy used, and consider the option of storing one tool under something else if that's at all possible, obviously you know your space constraints better than we do.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For what you said you build a miter saw would be my choice. The only thing I would like to add is be careful of buying low price tools the old saying is true you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
OK folks I went out yesterday and looked at both the Drill Press and Miter Saw. After looking over the specs of the saw I came to the conclusion it is worthless to me. It has limited cutting capacities such as just a shade under 7 inches at 90 degrees and under 6 inches at 45 degrees. 75% of my boards are 7 to 10 inches wide with one Ambrosia Maple board just under 18 inches wide and 2 white oak boards coming next week that are 59 inches long and 15 inches wide. Also the miter saw won't cut the round holes that I need for my clock inserts. I have an adjustable fixture that cuts any angle I want with my circular saw and my router table or hand held router cuts perfect 45 degree angles in the end grain for box carcases. Given the right jigs, fixtures and willingness to apply ones self a circular saw can do as much or more as a miter saw or table saw combined, and take up less room. In other words the Miter Saw has very limited uses whereas the drill press can cut perfectly round holes, accurate stepped holes and be used with a drum sander to clean up irregular edges of cut outs or template patterns.

I didn't think this through or I would have never asked the question. I do thank each of you that replied though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts