Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi AVC

I know you didn't ask for my 2 cents BUT this tool chest is a bad design :(

No sub frame support for one and the wheels are two small and in the wrong place. if you load this chest up with tools and try a move it... looks like it will fold up like a deck of cards.
One biscuit in ea. corner to hold the drawers together I don't think so,1/4" bottom on the drawers, I don't think so with no support in the center of the draw I don't think so,drawer guides back 3/4" from the front I don't think so.no top or bottom support
This would be one hvy. puppy b/4 you got the tools in it.

Again you didn't ask for my 2 cents bUT I should point out the items I see.

Bj :)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Allison, the pdf file you sent the link for IS the plan, there is nothing else. Sylvan tool works means Scott Phillips designed this chest and you most likely got it from freeplans.com or a link from thewoodworkersjournal ezine. (This is where I got my copy of it) There are much better choices for tool cabinets. I would suggest you look at plansnow.com where you will have better choices and detailed plans.

·
Registered
22 Posts
chest plans WOODSMITH

Allison,

The new issue of woodsmith magazine #183 June/July 2009 has a real nice plan for a suitcase tool chest type.

This plan was modeled after a mission style,seven drawer double panel oak with top till and felt lined

Orginally built by the Union Tool Chest Works CO. of Rochester NY. founded in 1893 The guys that set the standard in chest building.

It`s nice to see that Woodsmith is passing on a tradition and recreating our American history in the work place.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Guys, I think after 3 years she has it under control.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ebay chest

Bobj3

That chest is also seen on Ebay Is that you...MC

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi John

Nope not me :) I do have one but it's not for sale ,it's a great one for the price :)

======

Bobj3

That chest is also seen on Ebay Is that you...MC

·
Registered
22 Posts
The windsor chest

It`s what they call the windsor chest this guy has been sellen them on ebay for as long as i can rember I would think it `s made in china but not positive

He`s got a buy it now for $93.99 the item # is 230351119124

I often wondered who the distributers were I`d really like to know who the manufacturer is...MC

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi John

Looks like one in the same :) not to bad at 120.00 but I do like a bit more at 80.oo plus shipping of 18.oo = 98.oo if you play it right you can get it for a bit less via.HF coupons :) but I don't who makes them ,I'm sure it must be a shop in China :)

8 Drawer Wooden Tool Chest Machinist Wood Cabinet 2D11 - eBay (item 230351119124 end time Jul-22-09 12:07:18 PDT)

=========

It`s what they call the windsor chest this guy has been sellen them on ebay for as long as i can rember I would think it `s made in china but not positive

He`s got a buy it now for $93.99 the item # is 230351119124

I often wondered who the distributers were I`d really like to know who the manufacturer is...MC

·
Registered
22 Posts
John B. Hetzsl`s tool chest plan

Here`s yet another set of plans for a Union mission style 26" non till type by American furniture and design CO.

However I`m not allowed by the board to post the URL`S

Cheers, MC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts