Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my table and wanted to test it out. The first piece I put though shot out like a bullet and hit my shop wall. I have the router mounted and a fence is installed. I stopped working and went on the internet to research what i did wrong. Every article I read states feed should be right to left which is what I did. What am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ken,

I did update my location. Scotch Plains, New Jersey. My work was not between the fence and the cutter. I was just using a round over bit on a piece of 3 inch pine. I had the cutter set for about an eight inch cut. I have never used a router in a table before and now I am a little concerned about trying it again.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Were you moving the wood from right to left? Going the other way would do what you experienced.
The fence should be covering AT LEAST 1/2 of the bit.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Can you tell us how exactly you made the cut? also, how many depth changes to make that cut? I can only guess, but you may have got your direction confused when moving the work. Did it pull the work through the bit, or away from the bit? i can tell you that it happens so fast, that every thing is shot across the room, before you even intended to start. Table top routing is very safe when you have the safety concerns down, and you have time to look at what happened. This has happened to us all in one shape, or another. It is a part of learning. We'll try to help. Wheni started to post, i saw 2, now i'm the fifth. We'll figure it out! Hang there!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi and thank you, I was moving the work from right to left. As soon as bit touch the wood it pulled it and shot it out. I think I had the fence covering more then half the bit but thinking back the cut was too deep. Would this have created the shoot out?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Phil

Not the norm...:) when the bit spins it pull the stock into the fence the norm..most bits are made to make a full pass cut,but if you don't hang on and keep it down the bit will climb and pull the stock and shoot it off the table...the bit must be sharp and it's always best to use a hold down device and push block all in one..

like below

=====

Hi and thank you, I was moving the work from right to left. As soon as bit touch the wood it pulled it and shot it out. I think I had the fence covering more then half the bit but thinking back the cut was too deep. Would this have created the shoot out?

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Did it fly out a) to the left or b) to the right (i.e. back against the direction you fed it)?

I had exactly the same thing happen to me when rounding over a 4x4x3/4" piece. The bit (1/2") grabbed it and kicked it out against the feed. I was not using a fence, relying on the bearing instead.

The only two reasons I could find were a) not holding the workpiece properly and b) forgetting to lock the height. I have since got a small vise to improve workholding of such small workpieces.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bob and thank you, I think you explained it. When I put the first piece though i was holding it with my finger tips. The piece was about 2 feet long. I may have let the piece ride up because I was holding it at the very end. I will try again using a push block if fact I think I am going to buy the gripper that is offered by Peachtree tools.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Phil

Your welcome :)

That should do the trick..You may want to get some feed back from Bob N.. Moderation Team

I think he has one of the grippers..

http://www.routerforums.com/members/bob-1713.html

NOTE.. make one more post and you will have 10, then you can PM him..:)

===========

Hi Bob and thank you, I think you explained it. When I put the first piece though i was holding it with my finger tips. The piece was about 2 feet long. I may have let the piece ride up because I was holding it at the very end. I will try again using a push block if fact I think I am going to buy the gripper that is offered by Peachtree tools.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I hope everyone reads this and it serves as a reminder how dangerous these tools can be. I know everyone gets complacent from time to time, and that's the most dangerous thing you can do, except maybe taking your eyes off your work.

I apply my personal Golden Rule of Surgery to woodworking - never take your work for granted. Complacency breeds mistakes, and mistakes in either field can be deadly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts