Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used the search function but really haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm wanting to make some really good glue joints (and for alignment purposes) on some cutting boards. I was thinking that a basic T&G would be in order, but I don't have a bit set for it. Only some assorted straight bits. What is the best method using a router table and these bits. I think for this project I really only need to make the groove 1/4". Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I've used the search function but really haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm wanting to make some really good glue joints (and for alignment purposes) on some cutting boards. I was thinking that a basic T&G would be in order, but I don't have a bit set for it. Only some assorted straight bits. What is the best method using a router table and these bits. I think for this project I really only need to make the groove 1/4". Thanks for your help.
Hi Jake - I don't see why you can't make tongue and grooves with just a straight bit. Make the grooves running the board through on edge, the tongue is just two rabbets. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Like John said, you can use a straight bit to rabbet both sides of a board, creating a tounge. The one thing that you have to watch out for doing that is your board needs to be dead flat with both sides parallel. Because you're referencing off of each face of the board, any imperfections will show up as variation in the thickness of the tounge. I would mill the tounge first, fix any major problems (if any) with the tounge, and then mill the groove to fit the tounge.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jake

If you don't have a set of the matched T & G bits I would suggest you use the spline way in that way the boards will line up just right but using just one bit (slot cutter or table saw) will do it the easy way, you can play with the one bit to put in the T & G joints but it's not easy to get them all lined up just right.
.010 is a big deal on the T & G joints..

======

1 - 5 of 5 Posts