Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Triton track saw and I am getting little bits of rubber chips every time I make a cut. Is this normal?

·
Registered
21,686 Posts
I saw the same during the first few cuts, but it stopped. If it continues, the base might not qute be square to the blade or the track. The blade comes up past the rubber, lifting it very slightly, which condition persists until the entire length is cut perfectly straight. If it persists, I'd contact Triton. They seem pretty responsive. I really like my Triton track saw and use it more often than I though I would. I just wish they would supply a 64-72 inch long track for 5x5 BB stock-59 inches is just weird.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw the same during the first few cuts, but it stopped. If it continues, the base might not qute be square to the blade or the track. The blade comes up past the rubber, lifting it very slightly, which condition persists until the entire length is cut perfectly straight. If it persists, I'd contact Triton. They seem pretty responsive. I really like my Triton track saw and use it more often than I though I would. I just wish they would supply a 64-72 inch long track for 5x5 BB stock-59 inches is just weird.
I agree Tom. I am using the 59" track and it's a pain.

·
Registered
21,686 Posts
I agree Tom. I am using the 59" track and it's a pain.
I talked with Triton not long ago and asked if we could buy a 6 foot track and they just didn't get it. Maybe more of us asking for it would get what we want. Adding the 29 incher to the 59 makes the thing too long to be convenient. Let's start a campaign.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will call Triton and try getting them on the ball' :smile:

I have read that other companies tracks will work with a Triton saw. This might be the way to go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just wish they would supply a 64-72 inch long track for 5x5 BB stock-59 inches is just weird.
59 inches is 1500mm which is about right for crosscutting standard 8 x 4ft (2440 x 1220mm) sheets. 5ft sheets are a lot less common. Maybe worth noting that Festool do a 1900mm (75in) track which is compatible with the Triton saws. The sign guys I've seen on a few jobs use odd-sized Festool rails (Dibond composites come in some very odd sizes by wood working standards) which started life as a single 5 metre (197 inch) rail which they cross cut to length as required. Maybe a bit extreme that, but both Festool and Makita (also Triton-compatible) do 3 metre (119 inch) guide rails at a more reasonable price per inch

Reactions: hawkeye10

·
Registered
21,686 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lost this post, here it is again:

Looked up tracks and Makita's 118 inch track is $285. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s=tools&field-keywords=Makita+Track+saw+track

Festool's 75 inch track is $225 https://www.amazon.com/Festool-4915...eywords=Festool+Track+saw+75+inch+track&psc=1

Those are Amazon prices, might be cheaper elsewhere. Looks like Festool wins for we 5x5 foot BB ply types. Where would you store a 118 inch track?

On top of the house Tom. :laugh2:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where would you store a 118 inch track?
My 3m (118in) rail is strapped onto a 10ft long rip of 18mm (3/4in) MR-MDF. It is very awkward to carry out to site which is why it rarely goes! You need access to a Sprinter van or the like to cart it around.

I've just ordered a 1900mm (75in) Festool rail to use with the Insta Rail Square I've been using to make fast multiple crosscuts in flooring ply and MDF sheeting (all 8 x 4ft stuff).

This is because with the rail square a 1400mm (57in) rail is just a fraction too short. I may cut this down to 1600 or 1700mm (65 or 69in) make transportation easier

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Registered
21,686 Posts
I was thinking about making a carry case to protect the track, and decided something solid would just be too heaby. I'm not taking it to jobsites, just don't want to wreck it in storage. I'd probably make it out of 3/16th ply (lightest I can find) and glue a 5/8ths by 1.5 inch strip of pine all round to form a shallow box. Maybe make the top by gluing it on, then sawround to make it open. Put hinges and some sort of latches and center a handle on the other side. Make it a tight fit and drop is some foam pieces so the track doesn't rattle around and that would be protective, but not too heavy case. Right now it's hanging from a nail through a hole in the track on one wall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.