Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My T4 router recently developed a fault in the form of hesitation under load. It was similar to an engine with an ignition problem. This rapidly turned into a bang and the motor locked solid. The brushes were chewed and a segment from the commutator was trapped under a brush holder. The armature was removed with the help of Trend's parts diagram and found to be wrecked. It looks like the hesitation was due to the segment being "open circuit" before it detached. The attachment shows the armature and below it are the parts connected to it. On the left is part T4/030 described as "Collar Left Hand Threaded". This is a RIGHT HAND THREAD! In the center is the lower housing and bearing. To the right is part T4/032 described as "Bearing Lock Plate". Although the narrative suggests a right hand thread it is a LEFT HAND THREAD!

DSC00408.JPG

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
You would think they should be get the description right. I've always heard that the T4 is rated as a light duty router Dave. What are your feelings about it and will you replace that one with another?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charles - see quick reply.
Regards dave
Charles the quick reply has been lost. Your comment that the Trend T4 router is intended for light duty operation is correct however it comes with a "light duty" price. If it is compared to a Dewalt DW615 which has better engineering then the T4 is 50% cheaper but does not suffer 50% less performance. I feel Trend have intended the T4 for new router users and while some of the components are cheaply made they are still functional and the included kit box is useful. At this time I will repair the T4 and should be collecting a replacement armature and brushes in a couple of days. These parts will cost $32.00 so its not too bad.
Regards dave.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That's not bad for a new armature Dave. I had one go on a Freud and it was only $10 cheaper than a new router so I didn't get the armature or a new Freud. I checked the price of one of my big Hitachis and it was pricey enough that I would probably go with a new machine for it too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts