Router Forums banner

Trim Router Recommendations

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  DJeansonne 
#1 ·
My wife wants to get me a Christmas gift and I figure a trim router would be good as I have an upcoming project where it will be needed. I currently had a DeWalt DW618 3 base kit. I'm leaning toward the DeWalt DW611 trimmer. I don't foresee having the need for the DW611 plunger....no inlay work but maybe a recessed hinge down the road.
Any strong recommendations for the 611 kit? Any recommendations for any other brands e.g. Bosch, Ridgid?

#2 ·
I have the Bosch colt for a very long time...
it has out lasted the employees 611's despite that the Colt got used more often than the DW's...
Bosch support and parts make the DW CS and parts availability out to be pretty dismal...
got the plunge base for the Colt later on...
it was a mistake not to have gotten as PK package...

Reactions: Gene Howe
#4 ·
When you say "trim router" the DeWalt DWP611 comes to mind, and I have one that I use often, but I wouldn't really consider it a "Trim router". The base, even the fixed base, is too large to get into really tight places for trimming.

A better option to consider is a Laminate Trimmer with multiple bases. They are almost as powerful as the DWP611 and the smaller bases will let you do things that even the DWP611 can't do. Mine, a DeWalt DW670 is about 3 trimmer generations old now, but it came with 3 different bases. The present version is a DWE6000. No plunge base is offered for laminate trimmers but you can do things with them that aren't possible with even the small standard routers. I bought a fourth base that was available separately for the one that I have, but I bought the kit with 3 other bases included.

One of the included bases lets you angle the bit, one is straight, much like the fixed base of the DWP611 and one offsets the router bit and has a timing belt between the motor shaft and the bit for really close work. It's handy when trimming laminate up close to a wall or cabinet. This sometimes makes routing certain shapes much easier if you re routing and not trimming. The fourth base is entirely for laminate work and I had to order it separate from the kit. It allows placing and gluing two overlapping pieces of laminate. Then the trimmer with this base lets you cut the overlapping piece off so it perfectly butts up against the end of the underlying piece of laminate, for an almost invisible seam.

I have frequently used this laminate trimmer as a small router before getting the DWP611. The 611 is better balanced and has a plunge base, but it isn't that much more powerful (7/8 hp for the trimmer vs 1 1/4 hp for the 611), and both use 1/4" router bits.

Charley

#5 ·
#7 ·
Now you have good information about several brands of true "Trim Routers" that are also considered as laminate trimmers and their different bases. If you want this size router, pick the one that you like best. All of these are good choices.

If you end up buying the DWP611, or even for your DW618 router, a very good and versatile router fence is the M Power CRB7. It can be used with any router that has guide fence holes through the base. It's a bit light in design for the 3 hp sized routers, but I use mine with my 1-2.5 hp routers that have the guide holes. When they first offered it, it could be used 7 different ways, hence the 7 in the name, but they now offer several options to give it the ability to do even more.

Charley

#8 ·
Other than their 18v tools I bought a few years ago, I'm just don't much like DeWalt's tools. The 611 isn't bad and has some nice features. But I have a Colt with all the accessory bases. Do get a kit with the plunge base included, it is pretty dear when bought alone. I find myself reaching for the Colt for lots of small jobs rather then the 1617. Just don't try to hog out lots of material at once with it, or any trim router. I haven't been disappointed by any of my Bosch tools, can't say the same for DeWalt stuff. CS may be great, but since none of my Bosch tools have had zero problems, I haven't needed to use it.

#9 ·
My neighbor bought a Dewalt 1/2 battery drill and would run about 5 minutes. Took it back got another did same. He then bought the Bosch like mine no problem. When he took it back again and ask if there was an problem Lowes return no problems. He remarked I already brought one back myself. I myself have a Dewalt corded drill with a key no problem.

#10 ·
The Bosch colt is my choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.