Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a trim router with a 3/8" collet and preferably with veriable speed control. I will be using it for a very specific purpose where 1-1.5 hp will be more than enough and a compact body would be ideal. From my searching I haven't been able to find anything. If a trim router with a 3/8" collet is unattainable, does anyone make a 1/4" to 3/8" union or adapter?

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom,

Thanks for the info. I never took the time to check out woodcrafts website. I have another great resource now. I have a 1617 EVSPK and I'm very fond of it. However I feel it's too much router in power and size for my needs.

Chuck,

The 610 looks close to what I'm looking for. It's a shame it's been discontinued. I will have to do some more research into the PC 690.

Stick,

I agree that I'm likely going to have to find a compact 1/2" collet router and use a 3/8" collet on it. However what I'm trying to do is far from dangerous if I had something like a muscle chuck that adapted from 1/4" to 3/8".

I plan on building 2 machines. A pocket hole, and a loose mortise machine like a Kreg Foreman and a benchtop domino. I have some sketches of the pocket hole machine and currently drafting it into a CAD/CAM program but need dimensions of the router I will be using. I will be starting with the pocket hole machine using a 3/8" carbide pocket hole drill through a hardened tool steel drill bushing. Given that there will be minimal lateral forces on the bit, and there will only be a .125" diameter difference, it will be quite safe.

I did find a Chinese Makita trim router knockoff on ebay that had a 3/8" collet a couple weeks ago, but I would like to stick to a name brand router due to reliability and parts are availability.

I was looking to buy a Kreg Foreman but thought it was a little over priced so I held off till I could see one in person. And when I did, I was disappointed.

As a toolmaker I have access to a full machine shop, vendors, and materials to where I could make a compact commercial grade machine for less than a Forman. To keep things compact, I was looking for a trim router.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.