Router Forums banner

Tritan TRS001

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Rev. A 
#1 ·
HI, I have this router with a 1/2" bit in the collet which is so frozen tight that I cant loosen the collet . Anyone with suggestions please. already broken one locking hole, only two left.

#3 ·
Try cranking the router up to full extension, where it locks the motor. Then gentle taps to the side of the collet and the try to loosen the collet again. You may have to repeat this several times. This is not unique to the Triton, This is a common problem around here. Brute force can damage the collet and make it unsafe to use. Avoid using WD40 or other solvents or lubricants.

#8 ·
G'day Clive, welcome to the forum.

#9 ·
Try spraying some PB Blaster on the shaft of the bit. Let it sit a few minutes and tap the the nut with your wrench. You may need to use a longer handled wrench or a cheater bar. I am assuming you left the bit in the collet for long enough for some nasty rust to seize it up. It's a good practice to remove the bit from the router when finished with the operation you needed it for.

If that doesn't work use a heat gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.