Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to forum feedback I decided to go with a 3 1/4 HP router rather than a 2 1/2 HP. To my amazement Woodcraft Seattle had Triton 2400 watt routers on sale for $179 so I made the plunge.....so to speak.

After getting it home unpacking and making a couple of freehand passes I realize that softstart is a must have feature on this size of router, it's a brute however the machine is going spend most of it's life in a custom table so softstart was not a deal breaker.

The queston I have, is a 3/8 phenolic plate strong enough to hold up to the weight of a 13 # router?

The only negtive comment I have with the router is that the table top adjusting tool was not included, hopefully WoodCraft can help me out.

Safe woodworking.......Ed

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi, I think for 179.00 you have the older model 3-1/4hp router. The new 3-1/4 hp Triton has the above table feature now. There is a crank in the box. The new model should be above 200.00. Yes a 3/8" phenolic plate is fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks James, just after I posted this I read a previous post and realize I got a new/old model without the lift and of course no lift adjuster. Now I'm a little disappointed in WoodCraft because we discussed Triton and rumor of Chapater 11 befor I purchased the router, not a word was mentioned about being an old model.

I thought I had a real score......you get what you pay for I guess

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well it's still a good router. I have a 2-1/4hp Triton that I just replaced with the new 3-1/4hp Triton.

·
Official Greeter
18,737 Posts
Thanks James, just after I posted this I read a previous post and realize I got a new/old model without the lift and of course no lift adjuster. Now I'm a little disappointed in WoodCraft because we discussed Triton and rumor of Chapater 11 befor I purchased the router, not a word was mentioned about being an old model.

I thought I had a real score......you get what you pay for I guess

Hi Ed,

I doubt the new Triton will go into Chapter 11..

The old GMC Worlwide Pty Ltd who owned GMC and Triton was an Australian company that did go into receiver/Manager here in Australia in March 2009.

The current Triton stock, trade names etc., I believe, is now owned by a Swiss company (Powerbox AG?). and is issuing new stock here, in the US and Europe.

They even have a re-badged Triton for sale by CMT in Italy.

James

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Good going on you recent purchase, yes to the soft start on any router. As for the "misunderstanding", that cools me to Woodcraft, never did any business with them and not sure I will.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke with Woodcraft this morning they seemed unaware that a less expensive 3 1/4 hp model Triton is available. I like the store so I'm not about to give up on them yet, as for the router itself the quality seems to be very good. I emailed Triton head office North America to see what they have to say.

For what it's worth the box is labelled as a 1/2" Triton Precision Router Model TRA 001 although the router tag indicates that it is a model TRC 001

Good routing

·
Registered
21 Posts
I spoke with Woodcraft this morning they seemed unaware that a less expensive 3 1/4 hp model Triton is available. I like the store so I'm not about to give up on them yet, as for the router itself the quality seems to be very good. I emailed Triton head office North America to see what they have to say.

For what it's worth the box is labelled as a 1/2" Triton Precision Router Model TRA 001 although the router tag indicates that it is a model TRC 001

Good routing
Let me know if you get a response from them. I have an issue with my 3 1/4 HP router and have emiled them twice about it without a response.
Nick

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

·
Official Greeter
18,737 Posts
Sommerfeld tools is were I bought my 3-1/4hp Triton. The new stock # that has the above table adjustment shows to be TRA001.

Routers-Sommerfeld's Tools For Wood

WoodCraft's web site has the Triton 3-1/4hp #TRC001 on special for $179.99. This is a new router but the older model without the above table adjustment. They even have not note saying so just above the price.
Buy TRITON 3-1/4 HP Router, Model TRC001 at Woodcraft.com
The TRA001 used to be the 240v unit available in Australia and the TRC001 was the 110v version for nth america.

As far as I know, the TRA001's sold in Australia do not have the above table height adjuster. (but with the OP table, who needs it?)....:lol:

James

·
Registered
367 Posts
Let me know if you get a response from them. I have an issue with my 3 1/4 HP router and have emiled them twice about it without a response.
Nick
Nick, you are better off calling them than E-Mailing. In my experience E-Mailing companies is useless, I've never gotten a response except for one. You a better off calling and talking to somebody.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nick, you are better off calling them than E-Mailing. In my experience E-Mailing companies is useless, I've never gotten a response except for one. You a better off calling and talking to somebody.
I wanted to call, but couldn't find a number. I called woodcraft today and they gave me a number. I called and told them my problem and they are sending one of the shipping companies out to pick it up. It will be repaired free of charge under the warranty.
Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds promising, I will be in Seattle Saturday and have arranged to exchange the router at Woodcraft. The Triton web site does not list telephone numbers for the distributor which suggests to me they don't want a warm fuzzy relationship with the consumer......Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a lot of confusion about which model 3 1/4 hp Triton router has provision for above table adjustment. The box which the router I purchased came in is labeled TRA001 the tag on the router indicates that it is a TRC001 the box did not include the above table winder however it does have the bent wrench for above table bit removal. As was pointed out in the add it did not include the winder handle I assumed that it must be purchased seperately, which seems to be the case in the Sommerfeld Tools add as well.

On Friday I got an email response from the distributor HTC in which they confirmed that the TRC001 is an old model and does not have provision for adjusting from the top, which is interesting because Sommerfeld's tools show a TRC001 advertising that it is adjustable with the accessory winder part#WR002

I spoke with the owners of Woodcraft on Saturday who as it happens sold me the router, they seem equally confused but genuinely interested in seeing that I get the proper router. So we agreed to trade emails with each other until we get this thing corrected.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I bought the new 3-1/4hp router from Sommerfeld at the Orange County Woodworking Show in Costa Mesa Ca. in October. After I got home the box was labeled TRC001 so I wondered if I had the old model because Sommerfeld had on their website TRC001 as the old model & TRA001 as the new model. I called them & they said it was the new model as it's the only one they take to the shows. Their site now has only one 3-1/4hp listed & it's TRC001 & it's the new model & the same part # as on my box & the serial # plate on the router.

In the box you get the winder handle for above table adjustment. The bent wrench is not needed to change bits from top. It's available separately. You can raise the router all the way up & the collet will automatically lock so you can use the supplied wrench to loosen or tighten the nut with one hand. The safety will also engage so router cannot be turned on until lowered.

The bent wrench is only needed to change bit without changing bit height as with Sommerfelds rail & stile bites or tongue & groove sets as they are matching heights. The bent wrench will allow you to reach under the bit while at it's set height to loosen or tighten nut. I use a rubber grommet in the collet so my bits are bottomed out on that & that gives me the same height when changing matched bit sets such as rail & stile or the tongue & groove sets.

The wrench that comes with the router does have a very slight bend in it as it's not totally flat, but it is not the bent wrench you need to reach under the bit without raising setting. You would need to purchase the accessory bent wrench. I have bent wrenches I bought for the Triton 2-1/4hp I had in the table & the Hitachi M12V in the other table. They fit the new Triton 3-1/4hp.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
There is a lot of confusion about which model 3 1/4 hp Triton router has provision for above table adjustment. The box which the router I purchased came in is labeled TRA001 the tag on the router indicates that it is a TRC001 the box did not include the above table winder however it does have the bent wrench for above table bit removal. As was pointed out in the add it did not include the winder handle I assumed that it must be purchased seperately, which seems to be the case in the Sommerfeld Tools add as well.

On Friday I got an email response from the distributor HTC in which they confirmed that the TRC001 is an old model and does not have provision for adjusting from the top, which is interesting because Sommerfeld's tools show a TRC001 advertising that it is adjustable with the accessory winder part#WR002

I spoke with the owners of Woodcraft on Saturday who as it happens sold me the router, they seem equally confused but genuinely interested in seeing that I get the proper router. So we agreed to trade emails with each other until we get this thing corrected.
The Sommerfeld part # WR002 is for the bent wrench not the winder handle. The winder handle comes in the box with the new router. The wrench that comes with the router does have a slight bend to it but it is not the wrench you will need for changing bits without changing bit heights. To use the supplied wrench you will need to raise the bit all the way up to reach the nut.
When the collet is raised all the way up the safety engages so the router cannot be turned on until lowered.

Here's a link to the bent wrenches you will need to change bits at set heights. I'm sure other retailers carry these as well or you could bend your own.

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Accessories-and-Supplies/products/436/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi James, you are correct the part number #WR002 is for the wrench, now I have myself confused........here is the email I received from the destributor HTC products.

Ed,

Thank you for your inquiry with us.
If you have the TRC001, that would be the old style router and this is not equipped with the above table winder and cannot be retrofitted. If you decide to return the router, it would have to be returned through Woodcraft where you purchase it. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
Diane McGrath
Customer Service

HTC Products, Inc.
Home of Triton and Portamate
Information
6520 Bethuy Road
Fair Haven, Mi 48023

586-725-2701-PHONE
586-716-8266-FAX

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi James, you are correct the part number #WR002 is for the wrench, now I have myself confused........here is the email I received from the destributor HTC products.

Ed,

Thank you for your inquiry with us.
If you have the TRC001, that would be the old style router and this is not equipped with the above table winder and cannot be retrofitted. If you decide to return the router, it would have to be returned through Woodcraft where you purchase it. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
Diane McGrath
Customer Service

HTC Products, Inc.
Information
6520 Bethuy Road
Fair Haven, Mi 48023

586-725-2701-PHONE
586-716-8266-FAX
Hi Ed,
That is confusing. I checked my box & router they both say #TRC001 It had the winder inside the box for table mounting. It is now mounted in the table were I had a 2-1/4hp Triton. It bolted right up to the 2-1/4hp holes. The only mod I had to make was drill a new access hole for the winder as it is in a different spot.

I use the sommerfeld cabinet bits for cabinet making so when I was looking at the Triton for that table the 3-1/4hp router was not adjustable above the table. So that's why I went with the 2-1/4hp router. I had heard for awhile that the Triton was going to come out with a built in lift for the 3-1/4hp. I went to the woodworking show & sommerfeld had the new 3-1/4hp routers there. They have one mounted in their table they use for the demos. So I bought it to replace the 2-1/4hp. I was confused as on their website they had listed the TRA001 as the new router & TRC001 as the old. I called & they said that the router I bought at the show was the new one. It's the only one they take to shows. Their site now has only one 3-1/4hp router listed & it's #TRC001 with above table adjustability.

So I opened the box & they were right so I mounted it in the table & just had to drill a new access hole for the winder. The wrench that comes with it will not reach below the bit if it is set at cutting height. I would have to raise bit up to reach nut. Since I use bits with matching heights I set the first bit for first cut & take it out for second cut without changing setting as the first bit already set the height. I use a rubber grommet in bottom of colet & bottom bit out on that so my heights are always the same. That's were the other bent wrench is needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Nick, sorry for not responding to your post sooner, I don't know if you are following this thread, here is the contact information for the Triton Router......Ed
Diane McGrath
Customer Service

HTC Products, Inc.
Information
6520 Bethuy Road
Fair Haven, Mi 48023

586-725-2701-PHONE
586-716-8266-FAX

1 - 20 of 50 Posts