Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all,
I am thinking of buying a 3 1/4 hp Triton router to mount in a router table. This seems like a no-brainier as there is no reason t purchase a router lift. Can not find much negative feedback on the internet that would steer me away from this idea. Am I missing something?
Thanks, Barry

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Barry and welcome to the forum. The short answer is no. Triton in the states has had some issues with customer service as the distribution has changed hands a few times and did again recently. Hopefully the new distributor is prepared to stick with it. The router is very nearly bullet proof. You can use our Community Search function to see what has been said about Tritons in the past if you want. The list will be extensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Barry, I just purchased one, the 3 1/4 hp one. Model number TRA001. If what you get there is the same as Australia, it has the lift built in. I used the removable base to work out where to drill the 11.5mm hole thru both my mounting and top plates (Triton Router/Jigsaw top). This allows me to use the supplied winder handle to adjust from above the table. Works an absolute treat.

Yippee, my first real post!

Chris

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Barry, I think the biggest complaint I have seen is the fact that Triton in the US does not offer the dust collection hose available in other parts of the world. You can solve this with a Bosch VAC005 hose or the VAC024 adapter which will work with standard 1-1/4 and 1-1/2" shop vac hoses. Others have come up with solutions by adapting hoses.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,157 Posts
Welcome to the forum Barry.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hi Barry and welcome to the forum. The short answer is no. Triton in the states has had some issues with customer service as the distribution has changed hands a few times and did again recently. Hopefully the new distributor is prepared to stick with it. The router is very nearly bullet proof. You can use our Community Search function to see what has been said about Tritons in the past if you want. The list will be extensive.
often wondered the why to that...

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
I'm sorry I can't contribute here , but Welcome to the forum Barry . I hope you share pictures of your router table project with us ;)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome Barry,
I have the TRA001 in a router table and I love it. I found a blue spiral hose at Home Depot that fits the router. I was able to adapt it to my vac hose.

Reactions: bcfunburst

·
Registered
18,995 Posts
I love my Triton. In the table, it is the best value and performer in Routerdom. Is that a word? What finally convinced me was Harry Sin's recommendation, and the fact that it is the router of choice for Marc Sommerfeld, whose videos never mention the brand, but you can see it in the table. If Sommerfeld likes it, the Triton is IT.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great router Barry. You have the through-table winder, and if you need to fine tune it, you can do so easily at the router to avoid using the winder. Excellent dust collection.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an early, pre wind up lift Triton set into my table, apart from the on off switch getting bunged up with dust it has served me well for over 10 years, the switch in the off position allows you to raise the collet above the table for changing bits. So no problems worthy of complaint.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had one for about a year and its excellent. I fitted a no volt safety cut out switch to the table and modified the switch on the router to allow it to lock the spindle with the switch left on (TAKE CARE WITH THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A FOOLPROOF WAY TO BE SURE IT WON'T SWITCH ON WHILE YOU ARE CHANGING BITS). This means I don't have to fell around under the table when changing bits.

The lift works really well but I have drilled out the hole for the handle and inserted a short length of plastic conduit to avoid scratching up the shaft of the lifting handle which is soft alloy.

When you have set the height make sure you lock the router firmly otherwise it will certainly move. When you unlock it it is usual for the bit to drop a bit as the setting has moved a little while you were routing.

·
Registered
18,995 Posts
I have had one for about a year and its excellent. I fitted a no volt safety cut out switch to the table and modified the switch on the router to allow it to lock the spindle with the switch left on (TAKE CARE WITH THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A FOOLPROOF WAY TO BE SURE IT WON'T SWITCH ON WHILE YOU ARE CHANGING BITS). This means I don't have to fell around under the table when changing bits.

The lift works really well but I have drilled out the hole for the handle and inserted a short length of plastic conduit to avoid scratching up the shaft of the lifting handle which is soft alloy.

When you have set the height make sure you lock the router firmly otherwise it will certainly move. When you unlock it it is usual for the bit to drop a bit as the setting has moved a little while you were routing.
This is one reason I like Sommerfeld's matched bit sets, Locked firmly, you don't have to reset height when using another biit in the set. You place a half inch rubber grommet in the collet and bottom the shank onto it. Tighten the collet and done. Great system, great router.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I replaced the winder with a DIY hardwood dowel. I use it for final adjustments for height.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts