Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted my new Triton into a router table. It does a great routing, but all the time it’s running there’s a high pitch noise in the background. It’s louder a faster speeds. It doesn’t sound like scraping metal, and doesn’t seem to overheat. It’s just annoying, and forced me to use hearing protection. Anyone have the same experience? Any ideas?

·
Registered
95 Posts
You should always wear hearing protection, as it's not only the loudness of the sound it's the length of time you're exposed to it that does damage. I used an Elu router once that did this for years, others that own this router will probably chime in with there experience. But keep that hearing protection on.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I don't start up any power tool until my ear muffs go on. I'm already partially deaf so I don't want to lose what's left. Those high pitched whines are particularly hard on your hearing. Unless it keeps changing pitch I don't know if I would be concerned. If it's the same noise every time you use it then it's normal. It could be a bearing whine that might mean it will fail sooner than it should but it could also be fan noise too.

·
Premium Member
20,455 Posts
I also wear hearaing protection at all times. Have lost a lot of my high frequency hearing range, starting with a Beach Boy's concert 45 years ago. As to the noise, I'd contact TritonTools.com customer service. https://www.tritontools.com/en-US/Support. Describe the noise, particularly if it changes when you slow down the router. I have never really heard my triton do that, but then I've got some really effective ear protection, and I don't wear my hearing aids under them, so high pitch sounds are hard to hear for me.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,945 Posts
I just mounted my new Triton into a router table. It does a great routing, but all the time it’s running there’s a high pitch noise in the background. It’s louder a faster speeds. It doesn’t sound like scraping metal, and doesn’t seem to overheat. It’s just annoying, and forced me to use hearing protection. Anyone have the same experience? Any ideas?
could be the cooling fan, may have to do with how air flows while mounted in your table.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,034 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Can you mount something on the inside of the router table box, to dampen the sound? (sheet lead)
Rick's pretty interested in this stuff, from his audio install days.
Some other members as well if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Most people don't notice that bearings get noisier over time. I worked in equipment rentals for 42 years. In that time I noticed this sound difference in many tools just prior to bearing failure. It was common in Bosch belt sanders...and when the bearings would finally seize, it would melt the body (plastic) of the tool and it would have to be scrapped. I learned to tune in to the sound of bearings from that. Tools subjected to fine wood dust seem to be most effected.

·
Premium Member
20,455 Posts
Forgot to say welcome. I want to add, blow the router out with compressed air. See if that chanes the sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts