Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rockler has a very good price on these, so I’m considering picking one up. I own a wonderful Bosch 1617EVS kit, so the Triton would mostly be a table unit.

i searched around but couldn’t find any recent review commentary, as new or term, about them. Can anyone chime in about the quality and other table-mount considerations?

thanks in advance,
Bradley

·
Registered
20,674 Posts
I've had one for several years. It's a really robust machine that's perfect for a table. Like the venerable 1617, the Triton hasn't really changed over the years, so the older reviews are still valid. There are a few other routers that have the built in lift capability, but I can't speak for them. I like the safety interlock. Crank the Triton all the way up to change bits, and it cuts the power. You have to crank the bit down, then press the on/off rocker switch for it to run. I really like that, as well as the spindle lock so you only have to have one wrench. To use it under the table, you uncap the spring channel and remove it. Be sure you put the spring in a safe place.

The Triton has really effective air flow, up from below, so it doesn't foul with sawdust. There are a LOT of dust collection accessories, but a really strong DC port on top will to the lion's share of collection.

I got this because of a recommendation by a member in Australia several years ago, and I am very satisfied. At about $260, it's a really decent price, a dollar less than Amazon

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had one for several years. It's a really robust machine that's perfect for a table. Like the venerable 1617, the Triton hasn't really changed over the years, so the older reviews are still valid. There are a few other routers that have the built in lift capability, but I can't speak for them. I like the safety interlock. Crank the Triton all the way up to change bits, and it cuts the power. You have to crank the bit down, then press the on/off rocker switch for it to run. I really like that, as well as the spindle lock so you only have to have one wrench. To use it under the table, you uncap the spring channel and remove it. Be sure you put the spring in a safe place.

The Triton has really effective air flow, up from below, so it doesn't foul with sawdust. There are a LOT of dust collection accessories, but a really strong DC port on top will to the lion's share of collection.

I got this because of a recommendation by a member in Australia several years ago, and I am very satisfied. At about $260, it's a really decent price, a dollar less than Amazon
Thanks for replying Tom, I was hoping you would chime in! You touched on my specific questions perfectly (y), although the interlock switch might be a pain since I use an external switch.

-- Bradley

·
Registered
20,674 Posts
Thanks for replying Tom, I was hoping you would chime in! You touched on my specific questions perfectly (y), although the interlock switch might be a pain since I use an external switch.

-- Bradley
It was annoying at first, but after I realized its true safety value, I'm happy with it. Just a new habit to learn. Change bit, crank down, reach under for the switch, GO!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
After reviews and recommendations I bought one. Extremely happy with no regrets. I saw the deal that Rockler had and it was a good one. BTW Triton's warranty CS is very good.

·
Official Greeter
19,282 Posts
I have 2 (TRA001 and TRB001), for many yrs.
Very happy and endorse Tom's comments.
Would not use any other router in the table....

Furniture Table Gas Folding table Outdoor table

I have had the TRA001 since before I joined the forum an the only issue was the soft start speed controller started to play up a few yrs ago.
Was very easy to purchase spares from UK, as Triton did not have an agent in Australia at the time. (they now do)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Had mine for 13 years and just used it not 30 mins ago. It has sat in my router table all that time and never skipped a beat. Go buy it.

Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am very happy with my Triton TRA001's performance. It is always in the dedicated table with a Grizzly power feeder at about 20 ft. per min. feed rate. Recently took on the job of making T & G Red Oak paneling for horse stalls. The oak was a steal at $ 0.30 / bd.ft. from rejected rough cut 5/4 pallet lumber, and it planed out at 7/8" thick. So the Triton is cutting the tongue or groove in a single pass at 20 ft/min with no hesitation including running right through tight knots and other defects. Have run 1,000 bd. ft. or about 2,400 linear ft. with no problems. Cathedral raised panel cabinet rail and style doors do require 3 passes with different bearing sizes to prevent tear out using cherry lumber, but this is a normal problem with raised panel cabinet door construction. Previous routers in this table required multiple passes on T & G to keep from stalling or tear-out. Yes, a bit pricey, but worth it when being able to finish in a single pass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts