Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a Triton TRA001 with the intention of mounting in a shop made router table. I'm in the market for a router plate that will be inset in the table. I know the Woodpecker alunminium plate fits this model router, but does anyone know of any others? I appreciate your help.
Glen

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Hi Folks,
I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a Triton TRA001 with the intention of mounting in a shop made router table. I'm in the market for a router plate that will be inset in the table. I know the Woodpecker alunminium plate fits this model router, but does anyone know of any others? I appreciate your help.
Glen
Hi Glen,

The router plates from Oak park should fit the Triton TRA001.

This is the model I have (the older one).

I purchased the 11" model for my router table and it was a perfect fit.

James

Reactions: stirus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Glen,

INCRA have a 3/8" thick aluminum plate with the holes already pre-drilled for the Triton routers. The model is MLP7518-AL, which has mounting holes for the PC 7518, 7539, Triton TRC-001, and M0F-001KC.

Hope this helps. I think the TRA001 and TRC001 are the same mounting patterns.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Hi Glen,

INCRA have a 3/8" thick aluminum plate with the holes already pre-drilled for the Triton routers. The model is MLP7518-AL, which has mounting holes for the PC 7518, 7539, Triton TRC-001, and M0F-001KC.

I think the TRA001 and TRC001 are the same mounting patterns.

Cheers,

Steve
Yes, Steve they are.

When I ordered my "build your own table kit" with 11" plate from Oak Park, I specified that I had a TRA001
and asked for the MOF001KC plate.

I did see, some time ago, on a forum that the big Tritons had the same hole spacing as one of the PC routers.

I cannot find that link now.

The attached template, I downloaded, fits my TRA001 as well.

James

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. Particularly James all the way from Australia. I read somewhere that the Woodpecker aluminium plate fit the Triton (perhaps because it fit the PC), so I bought it. The mounting holes are in the right place, but the hole for the height adjusting rod isn't, so I'll have to drill. Shouldn't be much of an issue in the aluminium. Another issue is that the mounting holes are positioned so that the router handles aren't parallel to the long sides of the plate. It sits under the plate diagonally. I don't think this will cause much of an issue regarding it's fit, but I haven't completed building the table yet. I'm more concerned that I won't have easy access to the variable speed control, or the on-off switch, etc. Thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mount it "cooked" or straight???

Thanks for your help. Particularly James all the way from Australia. I read somewhere that the Woodpecker aluminium plate fit the Triton (perhaps because it fit the PC), so I bought it. The mounting holes are in the right place, but the hole for the height adjusting rod isn't, so I'll have to drill. Shouldn't be much of an issue in the aluminium. Another issue is that the mounting holes are positioned so that the router handles aren't parallel to the long sides of the plate. It sits under the plate diagonally. I don't think this will cause much of an issue regarding it's fit, but I haven't completed building the table yet. I'm more concerned that I won't have easy access to the variable speed control, or the on-off switch, etc. Thanks again.

So the question I think I need to just come out and ask is this:

Is there a reason why the Triton seems to want to be mounted "crooked" or can it sit straight with handles parallel to front and rear edges of table.

Just seems a bit odd, and as long as I have to custom drill it (paid less for the table with insert that doesn't line up then most want for the right plate, probably without crank hole anyway)... I thought I'd just ask you all. Straighten it out or mount it oddly?

Thanks!

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
To me, that question is like asking "why is the sky blue and not light green"?

I don't know and it doesn't matter in the long run.

Both my Tritons are mounted at an angle and I did not notice it until the question was bought up in the forum.

It could have some thing to do with the two bolt heads in the side of the base that are used in the normal grey Triton plate.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
So the question I think I need to just come out and ask is this:

Is there a reason why the Triton seems to want to be mounted "crooked" or can it sit straight with handles parallel to front and rear edges of table.

Just seems a bit odd, and as long as I have to custom drill it (paid less for the table with insert that doesn't line up then most want for the right plate, probably without crank hole anyway)... I thought I'd just ask you all. Straighten it out or mount it oddly?

Thanks!
Hi Marc, my first reply was a bit tongue in cheek, as I have never had a problem with the angle of the handles and never really thought of this as an issue with the Triton or any other router.

Some routers have to be mounted this way to allow the handles to pass up through the insert hole.

In the case of the Triton, it has to do more with where the mounting holes are situated in the base. The Triton has two bolts that are used to mount to the standard Triton grey pressed metal plate used in the Triton Router Table. When these are used in their plate, the router sits square.

There was an earlier post on this subject, but I cannot find it just now.

PS the mounting holes for the Triton, PC 7518 and the Milwaukee 5625-20 are in the same position. So any plates or drilling templates for these routers are interchangeable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RE: Position of Triton Router in Table...

Hi Marc, my first reply was a bit tongue in cheek, as I have never had a problem with the angle of the handles and never really thought of this as an issue with the Triton or any other router.

Some routers have to be mounted this way to allow the handles to pass up through the insert hole.

In the case of the Triton, it has to do more with where the mounting holes are situated in the base. The Triton has two bolts that are used to mount to the standard Triton grey pressed metal plate used in the Triton Router Table. When these are used in their plate, the router sits square.

There was an earlier post on this subject, but I cannot find it just now.

PS the mounting holes for the Triton, PC 7518 and the Milwaukee 5625-20 are in the same position. So any plates or drilling templates for these routers are interchangeable.

So the question was based on the facts that:
A) It just looks weird, and
B) Position of the following items:
Dust collection port
Power switch
Variable speed control
Location of height adjustment handle
Any other potential issues

I bought a nice, homemade router table with a phenolic insert with several pre-drilled holes in it, and a few more (larger) added to it. Trying to decide if I should drill some more and use it, or bite the bullet and buy a new plate. As I paid $80 for the table (and drove almost 3 hrs. round-trip to get it) on a nice solid stand (worth about what I paid for the table), and a plate will run $60 - $100 (phenolic or alum.), not sure which is better... trying to decide what to do. Kreg phenolic for $60 with free shipping looks attractive, but can't tell if hole for handle is where I want it... I think it puts it on the left side, and I am a righty! Could turn it around maybe... dunno!
Jut bought the Triton TRA-001 for about $230 plus tax, and know what other have into their tables, so I want to keep costs down but do it right! Only issues with table are no front T-track (fairly simple and FAIRLY cheap fix) and his dust port is also home-made and needs to be clamped manually or I need to change it too (though with Triton dust port, may be less of an issue)... dunno!

You all are supposed to be the experts! (Almost said "guys"). Any females in here??? :dance3:

Thanks! Marc

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Marc, no problems with the router mounted at an angle or straight, your choice provided your table has room underneath for clearance.

The Grizzly T10432 table (photo 1) is what I mounted my TRA-001 in. Click the parts list on Grizzly's page for this table and you can order the mounting plate for $13. (Unless you want to pay more for a plate) Photo 2 shows the Triton cutting a roman ogee; note how little dust is escaping.

The Bosch VAC005 hose is a perfect fit in the Triton dust port. You could also use the VAC024 adapter with a small Shop Vac hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
$13 plate? Wow!

Triton is now mounted. Went straight using template doc. link provided here or found elsewhere, not sure now! FYI, hole marked for crank did not line up. Would love to start over as used plate had several holes pre-drilled, a couple more ovals added by previous owner, plus my bonus crank hole. My plate came with 3 removable inserts to adjust clearance so that is a feature I would want to keep.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re the Triton being mounted at an angle on some plates, this is because it is a big beasty and wider accross the handles than some table openings below the rebate.

Mine is on a Kreg plate and table top, on the diagonal, and I remove the fixed handle (the one not used for height adjustment and plunge mode control) to improve clearance when installing and removing router and plate from the table.

My router is the early model TR series without above table height winder that preceded the smaller MOF and current TR series with above table winder. It is possible that the drill template for the MOF might not have the winder hole alligned correctly for the later TR unit as I believe the motor body is wider. I know that the mounting screw holes for the early and current TR series and the MOF are the same, so you should be able to drill the mounting holes from the template. You should then be able to temporarily position the black plastic 'rub ring' from the router base onto the plate using the screw holes to mark the winder hole.

·
Registered
17 Posts
LOL! Thanks! YEAH... that's probably what I SHOULD have done!

SOooo the un-needed holes bothered me just enough to plug them. Used some of that epoxy putty stuff (first time), pretty cool, actually to plug the two irregular ovals the previous owner drilled along with my one errant crank handle (what I call it anyway). Thought I would plug others, but some are for pins for starting free-hand work, and the other 3 or 4 (forget which) mounting holes could be used for that as well so I left them.

Working on a leaf vac dust collection system, almost done over weekend. A bit makeshift but I bet it will work like a charm!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re the Leaf Vac collection system, It might work well for the larger particles, but the nasty stuff healthwise is the really fine stuff that you cannot see, and it will exit the bag through the weave in the cloth.

I don't know what the containment specs are for the bags on leaf vacs but mine have always left a dust cloud when used around the yard, and one used to clean metal dust in a metal polishing shop where I worked would leave that much left in suspension in the air that you couldn't see to work in the shop for about 2 hours (breathing apuratus in use).

Use if you have to but try to exhaust it outside the shop to avoid accumulating ultrafine dust in the shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks! System up and running! Vac is outside, separator can sealed inside so I think I am good. Even added a broom sweep port I can push broom or sweep broom up to a funnel which goes to the Vac!

·
Registered
145 Posts
any pics

Thanks! System up and running! Vac is outside, separator can sealed inside so I think I am good. Even added a broom sweep port I can push broom or sweep broom up to a funnel which goes to the Vac!
G'day Marc , is there any pictures of your set up with the Leaf Vac sounds very interesting:)

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
That's not too bad, Scott.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts