Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a request in my last post for something made with the Incra, so I'll add a few photos of a second batch of trivets I've made. They were made with 4 successive bits (1/2", 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8"), but in increasing depths. My son and I were working on a fancier batch this weekend when my 1/8" carbide spiral broke off... so I need to order some more.

These were finished with a very dilute polyurethane (~2:1 MS:poly)to provide wash-ability without adding shine. I gave several of these away at Christmas and only have these left. I'm planning on donating a pair for a door prize at my next local WW club meeting, to see if I can raise the interest in routing or find those with interest.

I've also built some dovetail drawers for a under drill press cabinet but will post those when I post the RT base.. since I want to use the same setup for routing the false drawer fronts. as far as the cabinet, I've laminated two 1/2" BB ply pieces for the base, sanded and put the first (sealing) coat of finish on the underside.

This will likely be a slow-go as I started a new job today and they're asking for 60 hr weeks, but I'll keep plugging at it!

..and yes, Harry... I've started a photo shoot of the cab base, which I'll start posting once it starts to look like a table. <g>

Attachments

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Those are beautiful Jim but how in the world can I learn to make them without a photo shoot? It's obvious that there are two of you so there isn't any reason (excuse) for not doing photo shoots.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harry,

I've got a photo shoot underway for the fancier ones. Since those incorporate this "pyramid design", these will be obvious.

My hold-up at the moment is that I snapped my 1/8" router bit and need to order more.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I eagerly await the photo shoot Jim because I'm serious when I tell you that I want to make some without the hassle of re-inventing the wheel.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Good luck on your new job, hope it is something you want to do. I use a mico convection oven most of the time so trivets are not on my to do list. But love seeing yours.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
John, irrespective of whether or not you actually use them, just think of the great presents they would make.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love what I do, John.. its just that the company I was working for was out of work for me and had told me in mid-December that I'd be laid off after the project I was working on was over unless there was more work. The next work came in on my last day but it would have been 6 - 12 weeks before my part would have started. It was very nice of them since I was able to have last day on Friday and started in the new job yesterday with no missed work days.

They're a good company, one I'd go back to if this one runs out of work.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Good job Jim, I too would love to see how they are made.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
hi Jim,
you did a nice job on the trivets.

i hope to see how you made them. i dont have an incra, so i may not be able to do them.

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Levon... I won't steal Jim's thunder here, but I will tell ya, that you dont have to have an Incra to make those. These are a great exercise in precise measuring/setup and bit progression....

Jim.... good work is hard to find, good companies to work for are even harder to find. *S*
Its nice now that you can finally start cranking things out isn't it... Here's one for you and the boy.... checkerboard/trivets....maple/walnut sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
thanks Bill, if you know just show us how to make them.

im sure jim wont mind.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
John, irrespective of whether or not you actually use them, just think of the great presents they would make.
Harry don't take any thing I say to serious at this time of year. It is too cold in the shop to work and I ake all over. Don't mean to show disrespect to Jms talent.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
hi John,

i think we are all getting cabin fever.

i always felt for people having to battle cold weather to have to live and work in, but this year our normally warm area is frigid!

i have learned to dress for it, but i will never learn to like it. :)

i guess ive just been spoiled for years.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you cut across the grain to start and then cut along the grain to reduce chip out? Do you hog the waste out?
You got it, Mike. I set the fence and make 1 cut across, then one with, then move the fence. The plans recommend doing that. Actually I should probably re-read them as they may want me to make all of the cross-grain cuts with a particular bit before any along-grain cuts with that bit.

There really isn't any need to hog out the wood since all you really do is set the 1/2" bit for (they say 1/16", I went a skosh over, about 3/32") and make all the cuts with that bit. Then, the 3/8" bit only goes another 1/16" deeper (I went a bit over again), right where you cut previously and repeat with the 1/4" and 1/8" bits. This way each cut is only very shallow. The hogging appearance comes because the last cut is the depth of adding up all of the cut depths, even though the cut with each bit was shallow.

I'm not explaining this very well (I've never been very good with words) but it will be obvious when I post the photo shoot.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi Jim,
you did a nice job on the trivets.

i hope to see how you made them. i dont have an incra, so i may not be able to do them.

thanks
Levon,

Although I used my Incra, I think there's gotta be a way to make them with spacer blocks. Once I get the next ones posted, I'll ask Mr. Jigs for his professional opinion! If anyone can do it, he can!

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Jim

Nice job,,I was lost until you said (incra ) and you use it for the indexing, I'm thinking.

========
Whoops! Obviously I should have read the whole thread before making the last post. Bob, it seems to me you should be able to make them with spacer blocks, even the next ones I'm doing that use stop blocks too, but that's beyond me. Maybe you would please help there, once I post the pics?

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Levon... I won't steal Jim's thunder here, but I will tell ya, that you dont have to have an Incra to make those. These are a great exercise in precise measuring/setup and bit progression....

Jim.... good work is hard to find, good companies to work for are even harder to find. *S*
Its nice now that you can finally start cranking things out isn't it... Here's one for you and the boy.... checkerboard/trivets....maple/walnut sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet...
It sure is, Bill... and go ahead and steal whatever thunder I have here.. or better yet, spill the beans! <g>

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jim

Duck soup with the ski jig,,just cut some spacers on the table saw,stick them to the table with some DST,let the skis run on the side of them..

stick down some stop blocks for the ski run in to ..

Make one pass and then move it (spacer) over to the other side,when done with all turn board 90 deg. and start over.

No need for a plunge router for this one..

=======

Whoops! Obviously I should have read the whole thread before making the last post. Bob, it seems to me you should be able to make them with spacer blocks, even the next ones I'm doing that use stop blocks too, but that's beyond me. Maybe you would please help there, once I post the pics?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts