Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have both the Tru Trac and the EZ. I bought the Tru Trac many years ago based on a demo at the Woodworking Show and have used it a lot. I then ran across the EurekaZone EZ track and bought their product as it offered a lot more versatility in the way of options and add-ons, but I still reach for the TT if I'm doing something simple like cutting the bottom off a door - the photo shows the track and saw being used to cut off the bottom of a door. The clamps shown in the other photos is an idea that I came up with using the connectors used for joining sections of track and a couple of available clamps. TT now sells this clamp on their web site.

To be honest - and it may be because I've used it longer - but I prefer the design of the TT track - the double angle locator rather than the raised ridge is much easier to work with as far as dropping the saw and carriage on the track rather than the raised square ridge of the EZ.

You're going to have to invest a little more than $60 though - that covers the carriage that attaches to the saw, you still need a section of track

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on buying the the 4 ft to start and just use track for both?
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just a few comparisons between the TrueTrack (TT) and the Eurekazone.com EZ Smart track system (EZ):

Cost
TT 48" track: $159 + shipping on Amazon.com; clamps NOT included ($20 or $60 extra); have to use a little block of wood to determine location on base
EZ 56" track: $179 + shipping on Eurekazone.com; two clamps included; removable row of tabs used to easily determine location on base

Anti-chip Edge
TT: only on the track side of the kerf - the other side will chip as usual for an up-cutting circular saw.
EZ: on BOTH sides of the kerf - both sides provide clean cuts.

Track
TT: One-layer extrusion with a raised groove
EZ: Two-layer extrusion with a raised groove and six I-beam ridges for strength and durability. The inventor is said to have once used the rails to load his Fiat (car) onto a flatbed.

Anti-Kick-Back Protection
TT: only protection is use on track and only IF the track does not move (whether clamped or friction)
EZ: anti-kickback fin reduces risk of kickback even if used off-track (with off-track zero-clearance insert for clean edges on both sides). Eurekazone.com provides a video of someone twisting the off-track saw side-to-side trying to cause kickback - with no affect.

Router Accessory:
TT: $70; only allows movement in one direction along track - must move track to adjust width of routed cut, as needed for plywood
EZ: $199; allows adjustment in three dimensions without moving track - allows controlled width of routed cut, as needed for plywood; additional routers or other tools (jig saw, ...) can be added by buying an additional $29 router base. A much more sophisticated routing system - see the video on Eurekazone.com to understand better.

Other Accessories Available:
TT: None, other than lengthening cut and adding clamps
EZ: Clamp system to rip very small boards; Square and miter cut guide; constant rip width tools (Repeaters, Cabinetmaker, Universal Edge Guide)

P.S. I use the EZ Smart tracks and accessories. I have not used the TrueTrack track. I do not represent either company.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I trust after 3 months you've considered this purchase carefully :smile: ? Let us know how it works for you when you've used it a bit.

Reactions: woodknots

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I trust after a year and a half you've considered this purchase carefully :smile: ? Let us know how it works for you when you've used it a bit.
Charles, I think it's only 2 1/2 months...but nevertheless it will be nice to hear the results.

I think this is a product best suited to someone who is going to use it an awful lot, especially for that kind of coin.

I've always used the simple home made 1/4" plywood cutting guide. I think there was a brief discussion earlier this year on the forum about those.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I trust after 3 months you've considered this purchase carefully :smile: ? Let us know how it works for you when you've used it a bit.
Hah! I see you edited your post to read 3 months after all! Good for you.

You know, if you add up all the bits and pieces of the EZ system, it costs more than my Ridgid table saw. And you still need a hand held saw to cut with on top of that. A rich man's guide indeed!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The math part of my brain wasn't working when I posted and it finished the calculation as I was pouring coffee. I had to go back and do the edit.
I use a plywood cutting guide too BTW.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I had a couple miner problems with setup. Screws were to short on one row ended going to hardware store for two longer screws no big problem had to do that with router mounting plate in my router table. They give you nuts to make sure if screws do not tap well in your saw shoe had to use the nuts did not tape well in my shoe still no problem had the nuts. The riving knife plate poor manufacturing. lt was supposed to slide in and lock in place in a notch I had to take my grinder and remove a little of the guide ridge because it hit the body of the frame of the track it slide into and would not lock in place. Got my saw mounted to my saw carriage. The alignment to saw blade is excellent design they had finger to align to plate once it was securely mount you removed the alignment fingers. However ran out of time did not get the track zero clearance strip trimmed so did not get to test track but that all that need to test track. Not sure I bought the best setup the the true track has two guide rails only one on the EZ track mostly went with the EZ track because it had the clamps to hold the track in place included. The clamps that came with it appeared to better made than the optional clamps on the True Track guide.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Charles, I think it's only 2 1/2 months...but nevertheless it will be nice to hear the results.

I think this is a product best suited to someone who is going to use it an awful lot, especially for that kind of coin.

I've always used the simple home made 1/4" plywood cutting guide. I think there was a brief discussion earlier this year on the forum about those.
I use a home made one as well - cheap, easily replaceable and works like a charm - marked with the specific circ saw used to make it, so I don't get confused.

Router Forums - View Single Post - Table Sled Runners - The hunt continues...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did get back to finish the set up of ezsmart track I am glad I bought the system it does what I want and the anti chip strips do work no chip out on a scrap piece of chip board that I ripped. I don't have a Festool but I am satisfied with the improvement in my capabilities to make cleaner and faster cut.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I did get back to finish the set up of ezsmart track I am glad I bought the system it does what I want and the anti chip strips do work no chip out on a scrap piece of chip board that I ripped. I don't have a Festool but I am satisfied with the improvement in my capabilities to make cleaner and faster cut.
...and in the end, that's all that matters. :smile:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It did add a new project to my list. I want to modify my existing portable work bench to support the track when I use it for ripping. Here is the addition in this video
. Now I have to get back my miter station build and after that's completed the modification to my portable bench.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts