Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:'( i am a total novice to the woodworking hobby . i recently built a custom styled entertainment centre for my wife's component stereo system ; including book,cd and dvd storage , using my only available tools -circular saw , portable drill , measuring tape and square . it's definitely not professional finish - but i got the idea , if only i had the right tools , how much better i could do ! so i went out and bought a table saw , mitre saw , table plunge router ; and then it hit - i don't have a clue as to what i'm doing , as the fear of not knowing how to use these power tools brought me to a sudden stop ! luckily i was web searching and came across your site as a terrific guide for me the beginner. there is a lot of good info to help me become familiar with what to do with this router i purchased !(and yesterday i just ordered an orbital/scrolling jigsaw from sears !) i can't wait to get background knowledge to overcome my apprehensiveness about operating my tools. thankyou for your site and i will certainly be spending a lot of time here as i need your expertise to guide me along. i work shifts of 7 days on and 7 days off , so i will have lots of time to devote to my new adventure with woodworking . well enough said for now !- happy sunday !!! , trupar :)

·
2,392 Posts
trupar,

W e l c o m e . . A b o a r d !!

I felt the same way about routers until I started watching The Routerworkshop on TV... (now, also on TheWoodworkingchannel.com )

The one thing that impressed me was the easy use of their standard Fence!
Just a good straight board from the wood pile! :) :) ... and a couple of clamps!

Also just the way they fed the wood through making the cuts with just plain and simple backerboards as pushers, etc. (speed... multi passes, etc.)

You will learn something here... (& on the videos)... Guaranteed!
(or your money back! :) :) :) )

Good to see you!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Gidday Trupar & welcome. Don't worry about being a novice. We've got lots of those (me included) through to experts and all shades in between. Enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Hi there Trupar and welcome to the forums. This is a great place to start. Many knowledgeable people here willing to help. They are even friendly too. Have you checked out "thewoodworkingchannel" yet? You can see projects being built. It covers a wide variety of woodworking tools. There are segments of "The Router Workshop" shown on it too. Be "SAFE" and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Trupar have you ever stopped to think that if there were no novices there could never be any experts? I'm one notch below novice and loving the journey. You came to the right place. WELCOME!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.