Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,998 Posts
Looks nice, David! What wood is that?

I have a friend who makes knives and knife makers call the handles 'scales' - I don't know why.

David
Scales on knives are the TWO seperate pieces that are fitted to each side of the handle. A full solid wood handle is just a handle.
if the metal tang protrudes from the far end its called a "through tang handle", if the metal does not protrude, its a "hidden tang handle"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can we see the ends of the tangs? usually the end cap sticks out quite a bit and I'm interested to see how youve made them flush.
Pictures of the end.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
Joined
·
15,065 Posts
Further to my above post and at the risk of upsetting some members, I must speak my mind. New members generally join a forum like this one to learn new skills, and simply posting pictures of finished projects does not help these members to improve their knowledge. The internet has an almost infinite number of photos. of furniture etc. that members can peruse for ideas but they don't help in learning HOW to make them. Progress shots/photo-shoots are what I believe new, and probably older members need/want. There, I feel better now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,998 Posts
Harry, 90% of my "work in progress" pics would be of the scrap bin under the bandsaw. And the other 10% wouldnt look anything like the finished article, because I often change my mind half way through.:surprise::laugh2:

But all credit to those who are organised to have a schedule of works.:smile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Nice work. I've done a few knives in my time (I have wip pics for one or two if anyone's interested) and full tang slabs always look deceptively easy. 90% of the work involved in doing them is easy but that last 10% is where all the effort goes and the fit and finish on these looks superb. The only thing I might have done different would have been to use a couple of hidden pins just to give some lateral support to the slabs. I've seen knives with unpinned slabs dropped onto a worktop from just a few inches high and, even though the joints were prepped properly, a slab just pinged right off.
 

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
Joined
·
15,065 Posts
Scales like this theres nothing to show progress. You glue a slab of wood on and shape it.
This is refered to as a full tang as it the full width and length of the scales.
Of course, I didn't realise that it was as easy as this clock of mine, a block of wood, make a couple of templates and rout away!.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top