Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a new fence system. It is made with those large free paint stirrers from Home Depot.

There is a slot in the middle for bolts, and the bottom is indented so it can hold carriage bolts from underneath.

It also has t-nuts in the back so they can be built into a larger system, like the 2 sides of a router table fence for example.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just figured that I can stack them vertically too to make taller fences. And if I use spacers, I can make tracks on the front for things like feather boards and bit guards and stuff.

Version 2 is going to use a yardstick on the front so i can set the stop blocks with precision and repeatability.

I think this system is going to work out amazingly for me.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Looks good and functional.

Aren't paint stir sticks about a 1/4 thick? (They are.) I have a TS sled with those as spacers between 2 pieces stacked as it's fence. I use a carraige bolt in the resulting slot, wing nut and block for an adjustable stop block.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yes, they are pretty much exactly 1/4" thick, and essentially (maybe a tad under) 1 1/2" wide.

and yep, stop blocks and pretty much anything else you want to attach to either the top or front will be a piece of cake.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Chris, this has similarities (on a much smaller scale) to a Glu-Lam beam (a.k.a. Boozer Beam) when there are no spaces. Glu-Lam's are amazingly strong for structural framing. These often are visible inside an unfinished garage as a lintel member. Glu-Lam's are like gymnasts - strong and heavy only where they need to be - so much of the strength comes from the glue-lines. Also, I like your sacrificial board under the "hole to be drilled" - as it appears that board is easily removable without a lot of work. So often, people forget the sacrificial boards and the fact that they have a very short lifetime! Great work!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
It looks like Home Depot is going to have a run on paint sticks. I wonder if they keep track of the number of paint sticks given out to the number of gallons of paint sold....Interesting! I never measured them. Maybe I'll have to create something with paint sticks too.

Charley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts