Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is one on ebay right now but I always lose those auctions right at the end. I don't really want to pay $350.00 for the single one for sale on amazon, and reconditioned tools has them on back order.

If only they had kept on making them instead of the M12v2 (which I have heard bad things about).

So if anyone has any idea's for super secret places that they might be sold, please let me know!

Jeremy

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
I have seen one pop up on Craig's list on occassion. You may want to keep an eye there as well.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
There is one on ebay right now but I always lose those auctions right at the end. I don't really want to pay $350.00 for the single one for sale on amazon, and reconditioned tools has them on back order.

If only they had kept on making them instead of the M12v2 (which I have heard bad things about).

So if anyone has any idea's for super secret places that they might be sold, please let me know!

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy:

I watch for garage sales with tools advertised and the want ads. I also ask when I'm in a garage sale. I picked up three routers that way, M12V, Makita 3601 "D" handle, Makita 3700 laminate trimmer. And I picked up 2 Dremels.

You might also watch Kijiji if you have it. We also have a small local newspaper that I keep an eye on as well.

Hope this helps.

Allthunbs

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/H...ic_Variable_Speed_(Reconditioned)___i308.aspx

Jeremy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys. As a little side question, are there certain parts or accessories for this model that are important to get or have extras of that I should also be looking for? Or for that matter, things that you should always stockpile for your favorite router?

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Thanks for the response guys. As a little side question, are there certain parts or accessories for this model that are important to get or have extras of that I should also be looking for? Or for that matter, things that you should always stockpile for your favorite router?

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy: There's a vacuum attachment for it. Keep the baseplate in case you sell the M12V but get the OakPark ones to use. Throw out the guides that came with the M12V. There's a tall depth adjustment that's useful. The guide fence is useful too. I've made a foot to use with mine. Try to get the two wrench models if you can find them. They're the older ones. Don't throw out the spindle lock variety but two wrench are better. If the springs and handles are missing, try to get them too along with any other parts that may have been removed. At one point Hitachi was selling them off at $179 Cdn. to clear the inventory.

The M12V is simple enough and the parts are readily available for a while yet that even a broken up unit can be refurbished. If you can, try to test it to see if it runs. After that, everything else is downhill.

The M12V is infinately modifiable for table, ski and freehand use. It can handle the huge 3" bits and can also handle lots of the 1/4" stuff as well. The plunge mechanism can be cleaned and lubricated and coaxed back to smoothness and when it works properly, it is very nice. Pain in the butt when it's dirty and sticky.

Not much else I can say at the moment.

Allthunbs

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jeremy

No the norm, but it's nice to have a extra collet nuts. 1/4" and 1/2" ones..
They do come off and do get miss place from time to time,,,extra ones in the box is always nice to have...if you drop one on the floor and look for a hour or so and you can't find it until you sweep up the shop..

=====

Jeremy

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you buy it a M12V second hand, put in a new pair of carbon brushes.

Too much sparks from worn carbon brushes can cause fire.

(recently one of the serious bush fire in Victoria, Australia was caused by a power tool sparks)

Reuel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts