Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are doing a kitchen remodel, and we got quotes for doing some modifications to our island (removing door cabinets, and putting in some drawers and trashcan pullout instead), but the quote was pretty high. I'm a pretty handy guy and like to try some new things so I decided to do the cabinet customization myself. I've done a light search online for a router bit that would replicate what I have existing on my drawer faces, but have begun to realize that I may need some help to identify what type I need. I am hoping some of you will be able to point me in the right direction. I don't need an exact match, similar would be nice though. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tire Wood Bicycle frame Material property Flooring
Calipers Product Material property Gas Wood
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Flooring Rectangle

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Adam.
Professional cabinet makers may well have dedicated shaper bits for their drawer and door edges.
Do the new drawers have to be the same profile?
You may need a number of profiles to make that end result.

I recall seeing a guide to the to the use of different profiles. I will see if I can find that.

You might need something like this.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
11,483 Posts
Welcome to the forum Adam.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I have a feeling that you may need several router bits for that edge and multiple passes over the router table. A beading bit would produce several beads like the face edges, but would require passing the work over the bit at an angle. The back rabbet could be cut on a table saw, if the tiny rounded inside corner isn't absolutely required. If this has to be an exact match, probably the only way is to have a specially made router bit or two to duplicate this. Custom router bits may be too expensive if just for one job. You might also look into the cutters by Carob Cutters for a way to do this, as their standard cutters offer many variations not available in router bits. Their specially made cutters might also be cheaper than having custom router bits made too.

Charley

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

·
Registered
22,036 Posts
There are many hundreds of bits with all kinds of profiles. Get a catalog from any of the suppliers, Freud, Whitehead, etc and you may find that very profile. I know I've seen a bit like that somewhere. Kind of like a double ogee bit. Here's a picture of different kinds of bits as a starting point.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys so much for your input! Frankly my experience with a router and doing this type of work is very limited. I have zero experience working with hand tools for custom molding drawer faces. I have ordered the bit pictured below hoping it will get me close to the detail on the front edge (there really weren't many options at all for this type of bit that I could find). At this point I am thinking about just not including the back detail. I will keep you all updated and show the end result.
Font Gas Camera accessory Cylinder Screenshot

·
Registered
3 Posts
The back detail is your fingerpull. It could be formed with a cover bit like this. It would take several passes, raising the bit slightly between passes. Best of luck on this venture.
Blue Violet Font Office supplies Electric blue

·
Registered
84 Posts
First off, I wouldn't attempt a project like yours without a router table simply because too much can go wrong free handing. Your front profile can be done with a wavy bit similar to a Yonico 13125q. The back profile can be done with a partial finger pull bit, which you should be able to closely match on Ebay. Be sure to plan out your profile sequencing, fence positioning / guide bearing ride surface, bit depth, and feed progress steps on a scrap piece first.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
@AdamL I had given no attention to the profile on the back of the cabinet. That profile, or something very close to it, could be easily made with a 1/2 inch dish cutter with 1/8 inch radius. One example, in the “official brand of RoueterGorums” 😁: Freud 19-104 1/2'' Diameter Dish Carving Router Bit (1/4'' Sh.
Of course you will need a safe router table with a good fence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts