Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Christmas gifts are finished. But I needed a project to keep me out from underfoot while the preparations continue in the house. I've been wanting to make a 3-D Tumbling Block Cutting Board since I saw the first one on the internet. I had some scraps left, and I had some time to kill. I'm sort of proud of the way it turned out.

Merry Christmas Y'all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
You should be proud of the way it turned out. Very nice.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
As well you should be...got dizzy admiring it... :)

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Andy,

I have always loved the Tumbling Blocks Pattern and it looks like you have mastered the use of it in this cutting board.

Did you use the individual block method to build it or was this cut from a glue up of boards?

Reactions: maximilliankat

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Plus 1 for design and execution.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy,

I have always loved the Tumbling Blocks Pattern and it looks like you have mastered the use of it in this cutting board.

Did you use the individual block method to build it or was this cut from a glue up of boards?
I built this one by using the techniques techniques in this video.

I can't imagine trying to corral all those tiny blocks and get the joints tight.

·
Registered
307 Posts
WOW! that board is a work of art Andy! I have wanted to make one myself. I still have a few more projects to catch up on first.
Great work you did on that one. Thanks for posting.

Ellery Becnel

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
outstanding...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Ya done good Andy... you need to get out from underfoot more often :)

you did a great job keeping the colors right..

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think using the dark wood for the joints makes them a lot less obvious than light wood. Much better approach. I had to look closely to see the seams. Nice job.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think using the dark wood for the joints makes them a lot less obvious than light wood. Much better approach. I had to look closely to see the seams. Nice job.
Thanks, but it was accidental. The mahogany and maple were full 4/4, but the walnut was only 1/2, so I used it for the thin layers. I'm glad I did it that way though. The job has several steps, but isn't really as difficult as it looks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thanks, but it was accidental. The mahogany and maple were full 4/4, but the walnut was only 1/2, so I used it for the thin layers. I'm glad I did it that way though. The job has several steps, but isn't really as difficult as it looks.
Oh no, couldn't possibly be an accident. When it goes your way, own it!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Absolutely WOW

·
Registered
211 Posts
Simply stunning!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts