Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an island in our kitchen with the back side of it open and it typically has been a place for "clutter" to happen. My better half has been asking me to build something to fill the space so I finally built her a wine rack and a cabinet. I built the wine rack first using 3/4" birch ply. The racks holding the wine bottles are maple.

The cabinet is also made from 3/4" birch except the doors which are maple. I bought the 4/4 rough cut maple at a local hardware place, milled the faces down to 3/4" inch, edge jointed the boards using my table saw ( I don't have a jointer) and then glued the pieces together using dowels to form the door panels.

I was concerned about installing the euro style hinges since I had never done it before, but it turned out to be much easier than I had expected.

I made the shelves in the cabinet adjustable by drilling holes and installing shelf pins, another thing that was new for me. While I was searching for a template to drill the holes, I came across an idea using 1/4" pegboard. Since I happened to have a piece, I gave it a try and it worked great.

I finished both pieces with several coats of spray lacquer, rubbing down with 0000 steel between coats.

Overall, both projects were fun to build and I learned some new techniques.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Don, Chuck did way better than gooder...
that looks to be a bestest job...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Excellent planning and execution...

For consideration, you can use router table to prep edge for joining by offsetting outfeed side of fence. Split fence makes it easier but can be done other ways (length of tape, for example).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated.
@nick, thanks for the suggestion to use my router for jointing. I do have a split fence on my table, but I'm not actually sure how I would go about jointing with it if the board doesn't have a straight edge. I made a jig for my table saw that I can clamp the board to which provides me with the straight edge. Just not sure how to do this on the router.
@hawkeye, I think my wife has in mind a project for my grandson. I'll post it when it's finished.

@ Bryan, she was very pleased with it. Actually, I think she was a bit surprised that I was able to make them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts